Carb Question - And I thought it was a steal at $300

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

smash591

Carb Question - And I thought it was a steal at $300

Post by smash591 »

Hi,
Here's an odd one... I purchased a 69 Ford F-250 from the lady next door for $300 and discovered the carb had a drinking problem. I consider myself a decent shade tree mechanic so I removed the lush carb and proceeded to dis-assemble. I found the needle valve tip gone. SO off to my local parts store for a kit... five kits later, I have discovered that Advance Auto, Autozone and several web stores don't know JACK! I finally got what I think is the right kit by lying and telling the clerk that I have a 1967 F-250 instead of a '69. That got me a GP-Sorensen kit (#96-333) with the right gaskets, accelerator pump and power valve. However, the needle valve is still wrong and even NAPA doesn't stock needle valves for me.
I am loath to order yet another kit in hopes of discovering a needle valve to fit the "non-removable" seat in my carb. What are my chances of getting a normal 1101 from Ebay to rebuild with the kit I already have?

My Carb casting# F5TFG - no tag present

Any ideas?

Shannon
69 Ford F-250 240L6 4spd T-18 4.10 Dana 60 w/Rust - SOLD
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Carb Question - And I thought it was a steal at $300

Post by SteveC »

sad that most everyone anymore has to rely on a computor to be able to tell them what parts are what.
But why was changing the year make a difference??

And what carb do you have??
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Non removable seat? Yeah, what the heck model of carb is that.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
AK F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by AK F100 »

I would take a trip to your local carb shop. They'll most likely have what you need just layin around and this kind of thing is what justifies their existance. Knowledge ( and old stock :lol: ) is power.
GPBFD Pyro Maniac
Daily Driver: 1974 F100 4x4 (ride'n on 8-Luggers) Build in progress
1997 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4, 7.3L Diesel SOLD
Pile-O-Parts: 1968 F100 - 2WD Shorty SOLD
Looking for a new project 57-60 Ford Truck
smash591

Post by smash591 »

Well... according to my local Ford parts department and his trusty micro-fish - it is a Ford Carb; not a Holley or a Carter, just a plain ol' vanilla Ford. The paperwork in the GP-Sorensen kit says it covers models 1100, 1101, F-1. I can't tell you which it is beyond that.

So I went to our local truck salvage yard and he sold me a well used Carter 1bbl (I'm guessing it is of the "YF" variety) for $20. He said if I just replace the fuel filter, it will work just fine. :) That was today. I stopped at Autozone and bought a BIG can of carb cleaner and a new filter. Here goes nothing.

To answer the first question, I'm not sure why changing the year helped, but it seems the computer catalogs don't think an 1100 series carb was OEM on a '69 Ford F-250.

The seat sure seems non-removable! There is not a hex head to put a wrench on or a slot to twist a screwdriver in... it just seems pressed in or something and like I said, the two needle valves that GP-Sor supplied - neither one fit. Weird.

I asked and apparently Augusta, Ga doesn't have a carb shop. (bummer)

Shannon
AK F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: Carb Question - And I thought it was a steal at $300

Post by AK F100 »

smash591 wrote: I asked and apparently Augusta, Ga doesn't have a carb shop. (bummer)
Shannon
That just SUCKS. :eek:
GPBFD Pyro Maniac
Daily Driver: 1974 F100 4x4 (ride'n on 8-Luggers) Build in progress
1997 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4, 7.3L Diesel SOLD
Pile-O-Parts: 1968 F100 - 2WD Shorty SOLD
Looking for a new project 57-60 Ford Truck
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

maybe it's time to open a carb repair business there :thup:

necessity being the mother of invention and all :wink:

check with the local speed shops--now days most carb guys(or gals) operate out of their garage--that's how it is here at least

and it is still a steal :thup: :thup:
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
smash591

Post by smash591 »

"The seat sure seems non-removable! There is not a hex head to put a wrench on or a slot to twist a screwdriver in... it just seems pressed in or something and like I said, the two needle valves that GP-Sor supplied - neither one fit. Weird."
The manager at my local auto parts shop pointed out that the seat is removable with a special tool like a small flat blade screwdriver with a notch in the center of the blade... or at least that's what he thinks :?

I have moved on to that lunk yard carb which might be a YF type Carter 1bbl carb but again... no luck on the kit front. I have instead dismantled most of the carb, soaked it in parts cleaner and blown out all of the small ports and have made new gaskets for the three sections. I'm reassembling this afternoon and maybe I'll have good news tomorrow. :)

:fr:
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

http://www.ponycarburetors.com/

They can help with any carb that Ford used.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
marine6212

Post by marine6212 »

Hey I don't mean to hijack your thread but how much should I adjust the 2 screws on the front of the Autolite 2100 for my 390? How many turns should I turn them from all the way in to out?

Thanks,
Marine6212
We all came together, both young and old.
To fight for our freedom, to stand and be bold.
In the midst of all evil, we stand our ground.
And we protect our country from all terror around. Peace and not war, is what some people say. But I'll give my life, so you can live the American way. I give you the right to talk of your peace. To stand in your groups, and protest in our streets. But still I fight on, I don't bitch, I don't whine.
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

Start at 1-1/2 turns out from all the way in. Here is another thing that old carbs have problems with. If someone tightened those screws too tight the needle seats could be damaged. Causing funky idling.

On the original note a remfg carb cost me 119 for an instant 2 mpg gain from 10 on the original rebuilt 20 times autolite 2100.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
OldRedFord
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by OldRedFord »

Too bad you dont have a V8, I got a 4 barrel you could HAVE.
Tim

1972 F350 flatbed drw c6/390
1967 F600 project truck
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

smash591 wrote:
I have moved on to that lunk yard carb which might be a YF type Carter 1bbl carb but again... no luck on the kit front. I have instead dismantled most of the carb, soaked it in parts cleaner and blown out all of the small ports and have made new gaskets for the three sections. I'm reassembling this afternoon and maybe I'll have good news tomorrow. :)

:fr:
Oh, Pahleeze.....

You like have an Autolite 1101 carb which was stock on the 240 and 300 engines from 65- 68 or so, but perhaps a little later on some engines. Or it could have been swapped on there at some point later. Anyhow, the kits are $20 from parts places, though, as you have discovered, the monkeys in parts places cannot help you. You figured it out to ask for an older year. Go to ponycarbs and look at their pics to make sure. The computers may list it as Ford, cause the idiot that programed the computer just used a Ford book and Ford called everything Ford.

Thay being said, the YF is a better carb, much easier to rebuild. And not being able to find a kit for a YF is even more of a tragedy. My O'Reillys and Advance Auto usually has them in stock. They are less than $20, and the kit will have all the stuff you need, including a new seat, needle, accel diaphragm and MOST importantly, instructions.

Here's my try at a link.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/ProductD ... rentPage=0

You will also hear of Holly carbs being around as well. Ford used a Holly 1940 single barrel carb as a stock shelf replacement carb for the 1101 and Carter YF. You want the Carter kit.

To use the carter, you may have some issues with the choke cable. The used YF you got does have manual choke right? You really don't want to mess with an automatic choke.....

There is also more fans of the Carter over at fordsix.com -- I have posted frequently there.

No way you should have to fashion gaskets for the carter YF. Get a kit. The fellow that sold it to you headed you in the right direction.

For reference, here a link to an 1100/1101 carb kit as well, this one from Advance Auto.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 28&PTSet=A
65 f-100 SWB, 240 I6, T-18, now swapped to C4 with difficulty. Yeah, I know. Its a 67-72 site. But my frame and entire drive train are just like yours!!!!
jcwillis

Post by jcwillis »

Yo Marine,
Try seating the idle mixture screws all the way in (clockwise), then back out 1.25 turns for a starting point. Then fine tune from there.
You at 29 Palms?
Jim
PS You might pay attention to how far you have to turn each one in, just in case ytou need to go back to the point where you currently are at.

marine6212 wrote:Hey I don't mean to hijack your thread but how much should I adjust the 2 screws on the front of the Autolite 2100 for my 390? How many turns should I turn them from all the way in to out?
Thanks,
Marine6212
marine6212

Post by marine6212 »

jcwillis wrote:Yo Marine,
You at 29 Palms?
marine6212 wrote:Hey I don't mean to hijack your thread but how much should I adjust the 2 screws on the front of the Autolite 2100 for my 390? How many turns should I turn them from all the way in to out?
Thanks,
Marine6212
Nah, I got out in 2005 I live in Tehachapi,ca. I work civil service for the airforce!!!! :cry:

Semperfi,
Marine6212
We all came together, both young and old.
To fight for our freedom, to stand and be bold.
In the midst of all evil, we stand our ground.
And we protect our country from all terror around. Peace and not war, is what some people say. But I'll give my life, so you can live the American way. I give you the right to talk of your peace. To stand in your groups, and protest in our streets. But still I fight on, I don't bitch, I don't whine.