fed up with my f.e.

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

fed up with my f.e.

Post by 427 »

My engine is possed and iv,e had about all I can take from it. Its a 64 427 r code and im running the factory aluminum 2x4 intake. It started leaking behind the intake so I pulled it off and redone it using rtv. Imediately the day after this was done it started leaking again. So I redid it again this time using adhesive to glue the cork strips to the block and light silicone on the top of gasket. This was a sucess it stopped leaking. I still had oil leaking problrms so I changed the valve cover gasket and that stopped that. Now the rear main was the culprit. I took it to a friend of mine thats a mechanic and he said he would fix it for $100. He said i needed a pcv set-up on it. I was running pent roof valve covers that are solid and i have a vent on the intake and an off-road snorkel on the back. So on the internet i found a pcv set up for my engine. After an easy install i drove it and now it pouring oil out the back of the intake. It got worse than better. Im at my end with this leaky engine. Any thoughts appreciated.Thanks Brian
68 f100 427 r code 4spd toploader
69 f350 390 4spd hauler bed
72 Ford Bronco 302 3spd
95 Ford Lightning
38 John Deere G
Assorted old Honda ATC,s
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: fed up with my f.e.

Post by averagef250 »

The rear intake seal is a real pain in the vehicle with an FE (obviously you know this). I've had to redo them myself and everytime the culprit was not the engine or the RTV I used, it was me. I didn't get the surfaces clean enough or had something fall into the stuff before putting the intake on.

I feel the RTV is much better than the cork seals. I use permatex ultra black or the same stuff with the loctite name on it and let it set up for atleast a few hours before firing the engine. Dropping the intake straight down onto the engine is critical, move it around to line things up and odds are it won't work. I also put a large bead on the block and a smaller bead on the intake itself. When the intake is on and torqued down I go back and carefully smooth the RTV with my finger to make sure it's even and there aren't any gaps.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

...and don't allow the Ultra-Black to "skin over" before assembly; assemble while silicone is wet.
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69rangerman »

See...I had better luck letting the ultra black set up for 15-20 minutes or so. The first time I installed the intake when the rtv was wet and it squished out and was leaking oil immediately.

The second time I used a larger bead and let it set up about 20 minutes. Over the next 1/2 hour it took to make 3 passes around the intake bolts it set up even more but was still flexible enough to seal. It hasn't leaked yet.

Without the PCV you do tend to get more pressure inside the engine which can force the leak.

Get every speck off the gasket area, and wipe down several times with acetone which will pull up all the oils - same thing on the intake side.

Good luck!

:fr:
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by rubiranch »

I like the cork gaskets myself.

I put a skin thin layer of black silicone and set the gasket in place and let it set for an hour or even longer. This assures that it wont move when I set the intake in place.

I've had my intake on this truck off twice and so far no leak. Years ago I used to R&R FE intakes all the time to fix oil leaks.

:fr:
72 F-250 CS XLT 390 C-6 4.10 40k miles
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
I don't carry because I have to, I carry because I get to.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=514
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

you hav eto make sure the block and intake are oil free. i used the cork or rubber gasket i cant remember now. but i think it was cork. i also used the blue silicone. i first glued the cork to the blcok and let it dry overnight. i then put more blue stuff on it in th mornign and put the cast iron intake back on it. i haven't had a leak since. don't forget to put the silicone in the corners betweent the heads and blcok meeting surface. that is a place they always start leaking first unless the gasket blows out. after awhile the cork will get oil soaked and leak dribble after awhie though. i thin the rubber ones are the best at stopping all leakage from that area.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I use Toyota silicon (FIPG) Also are you letting it cure before starting the engine? And what about the little water hose? Are you trying to slide it on as you install the intake? I take a hacksaw and whack about 1/2" off the pipe (waterpump side) that way you can slide that little hose in later and not hassle with it on the intake install.
Another trick to help the gasket bite is to center punch a row of divots on the block and intake, it helps grab onto the gasket (if you use one) so it doesn't squirt out.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

fe's need a hole in both valve covers--make that all gasoline pre 1980's something engines--modular--idk & don't care :wink: they have to breath-- suck from one side(passenger i think) and blow from the other
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli

Post by 427 »

I,ve also been told its possible i have a broken or stuck ring. Is this why I might be having excesive engine pressure? The intake wasnt leaking at all and when I put the pcv kit on it it started pouring oil out the intake.
68 f100 427 r code 4spd toploader
69 f350 390 4spd hauler bed
72 Ford Bronco 302 3spd
95 Ford Lightning
38 John Deere G
Assorted old Honda ATC,s
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

First, using 3M weatherstrip adhesive on the bottom of the end gasket is the slickest thing around. Apply to the clean block and the gasket, let dry 5 minutes, then press together glue to glue. Hold for a minute, and it will lock in place.

A light wipe of silicone for lubricant across the top (and a dab in each corner where it meets the intake gasket) will allow the intake to slide across the top as it tightens.

Second, there really is no way a PCV could make it worse, unless you have a bad gasket on the adapter plate you are using for the PCV.

Just to be certain, you now have a 3/8 line or bigger from some vacuum source directly to a PCV valve on the valley AND a vented cap on the oil fill tube to allow airflow and to beathe at WOT?

If that is the case, and whatever basket that prevents oil from going to the PCV isnt plugged with sludge, then I would look to see what you have for blowby.

A leakdown test would be best, but if you pull the PCV out and the front breather cap off and just give the throttle a wing, if it makes any signficant pressure, you could be pressurizing the crankcase. However, I would look to make sure the PCV is properly set up first.

BTW the old road draft tubes worked OK, but they were really only a breather, by having a PCV you are doing a much better job evacuating the crankcase.
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I agree, I think I would start looking for what is pressurizing the crank case.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

willowbilly3 wrote:And what about the little water hose? Are you trying to slide it on as you install the intake? I take a hacksaw and whack about 1/2" off the pipe (waterpump side) that way you can slide that little hose in later and not hassle with it on the intake install.
Another trick to help the gasket bite is to center punch a row of divots on the block and intake, it helps grab onto the gasket (if you use one) so it doesn't squirt out.
I Just remove the water pump to be safe. It's easy enough.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

I've driven FE's with extreme blowby. I taped up the valve cover breather hole once in a pinch (lost the breather) and the path of least resistance was the pan gasket.

3M weatherstrip adhesive will work, but the proper stuff and stuff that works much better is gasgacinch. I use it on the intake gaskets, but hate the cork end gaskets myself, they seem to work at first, but weep in short time. Cork is not a very good gasket material period.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

averagef250 wrote:3M weatherstrip adhesive will work, but the proper stuff and stuff that works much better is gasgacinch. I use it on the intake gaskets, but hate the cork end gaskets myself, they seem to work at first, but weep in short time. Cork is not a very good gasket material period.
My opinion is 100% opposite. Gasgacinch is OK, but it doesnt lock in place like 3M does with cork. Most people dont use the 3M correctly. Its a contact cement and gets assembled glue-glue after it dries. When done like that it doesnt move.

I have two FEs in the garage, one put together 2 years ago and the other 16 yrs ago, and both are dry as a bone.

People tend to be reluctant for some reason, but I learned that way as a shop owner, any extra time or comebacks came right out of my pay. When hanging deep over an old heavy F series radiator support, or sitting on the tire of a Lousville, I only wanted to do it once.

Now of course, everyone should use what they like best, so I am certainly not saying you are wrong, but 3M done right feels like the cork is part of the block, then a little RTV to lube the top during assembly and its good to go as fast as you can tighten bolts
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs