Noisey Hydraulic Lifter

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Roodaddy

Noisey Hydraulic Lifter

Post by Roodaddy »

I'm thinking about buying a truck from an old Vet(eran). The truck sounds great except fo the clicking of a noisey hydraulic lifter in the front passanger side piston. I read this thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... ght=lifter, but I'd like to know if there are other opinions as the owner told me he did not have success with oil additives. He also said the compression is good all around.

Any tips?

Cheers,
Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
''72 F350 Crew Cab
'72 Galaxie 850 Camper
DuckRyder

re: Noisey Hydraulic Lifter

Post by DuckRyder »

What engine is it?

There are quite a few things that can make that type of noise, most of them are pretty inexpensive if you can do the work your self.

If it is an FE, you may be able to change one or two lifters without pulling the intake, some have had success with that.

I would certainly try an engine oil additive or ATF before ripping into it though.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper

Post by 427 »

I,ve had some luck with auto trans. fluid in the oil. Pour some in and let it run a while. Then let it cool and change the oil and filter and drive it. Hope this might help.Brian
Roodaddy

Post by Roodaddy »

Sorry guys, I missed that in my haste.
1969 F250 CS, 360 engine, 4 on floor

Bill
''72 F350 Crew Cab
'72 Galaxie 850 Camper
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Could also be a worn rocker, slightly bent push rod, etc. Try to isolate the cylinder, pull the valve cover, get the suspect cylinder at TDC and see if there is rocker clearance and go from there.
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by rubiranch »

did you ever buy a camping trailer or camper?
72 F-250 CS XLT 390 C-6 4.10 40k miles
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
I don't carry because I have to, I carry because I get to.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=514
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Leadfoot »

if its not a exhaust manifold leak/crack or what ever, whats the oil pressure like? even a dead pcv valve could be the problem.

what I would do is pull the valve cover and see if there is any oil even flowing to the top end through valve train. and check for slop in the said valve train components. and bent or broken parts.

if nothing else so honey oil never hearts. :2cents:
WHAT ?
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fomocoguy »

Well even if you had to pull the intake and change the lifter, it's still a pretty inexpensive fix for the do it yourselfer. If you really like the truck and it's a deal I wouldn't let it stop you from buying it.
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by rubiranch »

fomocoguy wrote:Well even if you had to pull the intake and change the lifter, it's still a pretty inexpensive fix for the do it yourselfer. If you really like the truck and it's a deal I wouldn't let it stop you from buying it.
:yt:

:fr:
72 F-250 CS XLT 390 C-6 4.10 40k miles
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
I don't carry because I have to, I carry because I get to.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=514
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

if you need to pull lifters you can use one of these http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis13750.html

and do it with the intake on, I haven't personally done it but I know some people who have, and that tool works great even if you do pull the intake when the lifters are stuck :D
1969 Ford F250 Custom Cab 360/C6 - currently under de-construction
Roodaddy

Post by Roodaddy »

Guys, this is all great advice. Thanks.

Yesterday I took the truck out for a test drive. It has a 360 with a T18 4 speed, plus a new Holley carb and a bunch of other new parts; hence the firm $2500 price. Once I figured out that clutch pedal’s friction point was the opposite of mine, we were zipping down the country roads. The volume and tone of the noise in question did not change after the drive, so I figure putting all your ideas in a logical order should be the plan.

Now the sad news. Unfortunately, this year’s mid-year bonus will not be available for this purchase. It will have to go towards a new set on tires for the Mrs’s kid mover. I figure I was all excited about this truck for sale because I had not driven my truck for over a month. Kind of like going to the grocery store when you’re hungry (if you get my point).

On a side note, I took my truck in for service to repair a small hole in the exhaust under the cab. After the fix I received a couple compliments about the nice condition of “ol’ Blue Roseâ€
''72 F350 Crew Cab
'72 Galaxie 850 Camper