Singular Dash Light Not Working

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

mulletmobile

Singular Dash Light Not Working

Post by mulletmobile »

I will be pulling the cluster again to test it further, but I have one stubborn light for the RH side of the gauge cluster that refuses to work. The bulb was good, I even purposely moved bulbs around to make sure, cleaned the connections on the printed circuit main connection and at the bulb on the printed circuit. I used a wire brush, a little bit of alcohol and a pencil eraser and still nothing. Any thoughts on what may be causing this little bugger to not light up? I have to replace the one on the radio too, but I would like to wait until I have a better game plan for the cluster light. I did not move the bulb socket to a different location, maybe that is the reason or source of my frustration. Just wanted to check and see if anyone else has had the same issue or knows of a solution. Again, it is just on the one dang bulb and I do have the full gauge package on a 71 F-250.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or solutions!
1971 F-250, Wimbeldon White, 360, PB, dealer add-on A/C (A.R.A. brand), 1970 coded interior (23 - Med. blue/Light blue) with 42,000 miles.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Singular Dash Light Not Working

Post by basketcase0302 »

mulletmobile » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:30 am

I will be pulling the cluster again to test it further, but I have one stubborn light for the RH side of the gauge cluster that refuses to work. The bulb was good, I even purposely moved bulbs around to make sure, cleaned the connections on the printed circuit main connection and at the bulb on the printed circuit. I used a wire brush, a little bit of alcohol and a pencil eraser and still nothing. Any thoughts on what may be causing this little bugger to not light up? I have to replace the one on the radio too, but I would like to wait until I have a better game plan for the cluster light. I did not move the bulb socket to a different location, maybe that is the reason or source of my frustration. Just wanted to check and see if anyone else has had the same issue or knows of a solution. Again, it is just on the one dang bulb and I do have the full gauge package on a 71 F-250.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or solutions!
The printed circuit boards can fail without leaving much indication to look for. You should be able to put a voltage meter on the copper ribbon at the light socket you're having issues with to test it though. Also ohming the bulb out to verify it doesn't have a weak filament.
Our trucks love...LED's similar to this one in the dash lights as they drop the current pull to nothing making the circuit board work easier.
I do not believe this is the right part number though, maybe someone will chime in here that has them in the dash:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sylvania-SYLED- ... Rc&vxp=mtr
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
mulletmobile

Post by mulletmobile »

Basketcase, thanks for the info. I may try and pull the unit once again tomorrow (if we get a break on the heat) and see what I can do with testing it.
1971 F-250, Wimbeldon White, 360, PB, dealer add-on A/C (A.R.A. brand), 1970 coded interior (23 - Med. blue/Light blue) with 42,000 miles.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Best to unhook the battery before you pull it out-then hook the battery back up to test.
There are too many wires in that area to short out causing more issues. :hw:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4