Used SeaFoam but NO white smoke

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

socalcraigster

Used SeaFoam but NO white smoke

Post by socalcraigster »

Ok, I bought 1 pint of SeaFoam based on the reviews here for my 69 250CS. :D

I followed the directions - 1/3 in the carb, 1/3 in crankcase, 1/3 in tank according to the web site. :thup:

And guess what? <drumroll> :woohoo: Nothing happened! :hmm:

It seemed to run a bit better. :clap:

I did just rebuilt the Autolite 2bbl carb. But no smoke. I was kinda looking forward to it. :(

So I called the company and spoke to a rep. He told me that there have been times when the product is used and there is no visable effect. And he did not know the reason why. He said it might just be that the engine does not have any (carbon?) build up. :?

If someone can give me there :2cents: , I would be thankful. :hd:
1967 Flareside Shortbed Crew
1969 390 Ranger Long Bed

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Used SeaFoam but NO white smoke

Post by fordman »

i dumped a whole pint in my gas tank and it didnt do anything. but the problem was a bad fuel pump so there may not have been anything for it to clean up.
1967AceStroker
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1967AceStroker »

I added a whole pint split between my two gas tanks and I didn't see any white smoke either. My dad suggested it to clean the injectors in my truck.
My Project Thread (Not updated in years.)
1967 F-100, Shortbed, 351W - 72mm Single Turbo - Megasquirt MS3x Engine Management, Tremec TKO 500, Ford 9" - Strange Nodular Center Section - Strange 35 Spline Axles - Strange Full Spool - Caltracs - DJM Drop Kit, Crown Vic IFS Swapped - 2 Coils Cut, Power Steering, Power 4 Wheel Disc Brakes, Paint - Kona Blue
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Us west coast folks don't believe in seafoam...
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

BobbyFord wrote:Us west coast folks don't believe in seafoam...
The hell we don't.
old_mare

Post by old_mare »

:yt: :evil:
"I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess." -Red Green

I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy!

1930 Tudor : 1930 Pickup : 1969 F250 Custom
cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cdeal28078 »

One use of it is to clean the tops of pistons and valves. Many people will pour the hole pint in the carb revving the engine at the same time to keep the engine running then about halfway through the can pour it fast and let it kill the engine. Then lat it sit a while and soak. Then when you crank it back up you get some smoke.
clint
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Seafoam = snake oil.
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

BobbyFord wrote:Seafoam = snake oil.

Says someone that has never used it.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Says someone that never had a reason to use it.
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

cdeal28078 wrote:One use of it is to clean the tops of pistons and valves. Many people will pour the hole pint in the carb revving the engine at the same time to keep the engine running then about halfway through the can pour it fast and let it kill the engine. Then lat it sit a while and soak. Then when you crank it back up you get some smoke.
clint
On carbed engines you can accomplish the same result with plain water. I've done it countless times but never deliberately stalled them. GM used to make a product called Carbon X that did the same thing as Seafoam. I kept an empty Carbon X can in my tool box for years. Any time I got a tune up I'd fill the can with water before the buggy came into the shop. Most folks were very happy to see me using special chemicals to make sure their ride was running right. :lol:
Clay

72 F100 4x2 Custom,289, C4 " Slow Ride "
70 F250 4x2 Ranger XLT , 360, C6 "B52 - IV"
96 F150 4x2 XL, 300, E4OD, daily driver

" Professional Wrecker Operators - We Pull for America "
SecondCamperSpecial

Post by SecondCamperSpecial »

Water down the carb works for that but not in the gas tank LOL. I have been using seafoam for 20 years. If you dont like it then dont use it. I will keep using it. I use it in my powered toys in the spring and fall and never have to clean the carbs. MY friends that dont believe in it clean there carbs every year. When you pour the 1/3 can in the carb kill the engine with it and let is sit for 10 to 30 minutes. If you got no smoke you had no carbon.
1968 F250 Camper Special 390
1964 Galaxie hardtop 352
1967 Cougar project
1993 F350 Crew cab 5.8
1988 Bronco 5.8 C6
1966 Mustang fast back project
New 1962 Falcon Gasser project
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

BobbyFord wrote:Says someone that never had a reason to use it.

:roll:
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

OK, here's my take on snake oil additives such as seafoam, oil stabilizers, Prolong, Slick 50 and other miracle-in-a-botlle cures.

If there actually were a product that when added to the oil, would extend the life of an internal combustion engine then the it would already be a component in motor oil.
Like SecondCamperSpecial said, plain old water down the carb is all that is necessary to de-carbon an engine (and was actually recommended by Jeep/Chrysler to cure carbon knock in 4.2l inline sixes.)
During my Ford and GM FWD auto trans training we were told to stay away from and to NEVER add ANYTHING but transmission fluid to an auto trans.
I was a light/heavy line tech for Ford and am factory trained, I'm also Jeep/Chrysler trained, have taken courses at Tech colleges including Peugeot manual transmissions as well as other courses put on by tool and equipment suppliers. At no time during my tech training were we ever instructed to use an additive of any kind to cure a mechanical issue. We were taught to use tools to repair engines and transmissions.
I guess if you are looking for a cure to a mechanical problem and believe that you will find one in a bottle on a shelf at your local Autozone then it just may work for you. JMO.
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

BobbyFord wrote:OK, here's my take on snake oil additives such as seafoam, oil stabilizers, Prolong, Slick 50 and other miracle-in-a-botlle cures.

If there actually were a product that when added to the oil, would extend the life of an internal combustion engine then the it would already be a component in motor oil.
Like SecondCamperSpecial said, plain old water down the carb is all that is necessary to de-carbon an engine (and was actually recommended by Jeep/Chrysler to cure carbon knock in 4.2l inline sixes.)
During my Ford and GM FWD auto trans training we were told to stay away from and to NEVER add ANYTHING but transmission fluid to an auto trans.
I was a light/heavy line tech for Ford and am factory trained, I'm also Jeep/Chrysler trained, have taken courses at Tech colleges including Peugeot manual transmissions as well as other courses put on by tool and equipment suppliers. At no time during my tech training were we ever instructed to use an additive of any kind to cure a mechanical issue. We were taught to use tools to repair engines and transmissions.
I guess if you are looking for a cure to a mechanical problem and believe that you will find one in a bottle on a shelf at your local Autozone then it just may work for you. JMO.
Who said anything about it curing a mechanical issue? It does a great job of de-funking the inside of your engine, which isn't so critical on a FE, but can work wonders on little Jap rigs like Subarus (which start making all sorts of interesting noises once they get up there in mileage) and this stuff cleans them out when added to the oil. Yeah, Seafoam doesn't do all the crap it says on the can...but it does have an application. You have some training. Great. No one asked or probably cares. And who was talking about auto transmissions besides you?