Vin Number Locations

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

tanusfarms

Vin Number Locations

Post by tanusfarms »

Howdy All! I Am New to the site. Today I bought my first Ford Is supposed to be a 1975 f250 Ranger 4x4 With a dump bed, custom front bumper, and warn model 8274 winch mounted on the front. All for a mear $300. Now i say this is supposed to be a 1975 because the registration and title i was given state one vin number and the driver side door jamb states a completely different vin number. The door jamb states it is a 1970 truck. Does anyone know where i can find the location of the Vin number that is stamped on the frame of the 1975 f250? Also seeing how i am new to fords in general how can i tell if this truck was origonally a "high boy" Not sure if this was a year they even made them but though i would ask any ways. thanks again from olympia, washington!
Greg

Custom Built and modified F250 highboy, custom dump box, Warn model 8274 winch mounted on the 335 lbs front bumper
Image Image
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Vin Number Locations

Post by fordman »

the 67-72 trucks have them on the front top passenger frame. in the engine compartment. soem were also supposedly put under the cab on top of the frame. the 75 should have a similar location.

you probably was given the wrong title is my guess. in other words you cant do anything with what you have. unless you have a builders title. then you will get a cop to come out and give you a whole new vin. but you have to have reciepts for every piece on the truck. body and frame basically.

more than likely that is a 70 body on a 75 frame. it has been done before. and when it was done it should have been done with a builders title and not the way it was done. now that truck can get impounded if the cop see something fishy. like the door vin missing or not matching the registration.
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

I wouldn't worry too much about it. With the sheer volume of these old workhorse trucks around here, there have been MANY (that I personally know about) that the VIN didn't match. My truck's VIN doesn't match.

Pictures of your truck might help a little.

Congrats on your purchase, you got a good price.

Things work a little differently up here with that stuff, Fordman.
tanusfarms

Post by tanusfarms »

i plan on getting out and digging into it some more today. i should be able to get some photos today. I need to get either a 75 ignition module for it due to the fact that the last owner removed it and tried to sub it with one from 76-79, which from my understanding won't work. However i think i'm just going to switch it over to a points system for now and then later on once i get the wiring cleaned up better go back to electronic later. thanks for the help guys.
Greg

Custom Built and modified F250 highboy, custom dump box, Warn model 8274 winch mounted on the 335 lbs front bumper
Image Image
tanusfarms

Post by tanusfarms »

Ok so i went out to the truck this morning and i was able to confirm the fact that the cab has been swapped. I wave a 75 frame and i believe grill with a 70 cab and fenders. next stop the parts store for a points distributor!
Greg

Image Image
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

tanusfarms wrote:i plan on getting out and digging into it some more today. i should be able to get some photos today. I need to get either a 75 ignition module for it due to the fact that the last owner removed it and tried to sub it with one from 76-79, which from my understanding won't work. However i think i'm just going to switch it over to a points system for now and then later on once i get the wiring cleaned up better go back to electronic later. thanks for the help guys.
Do you need an electronic ignition box? I have a spare blue grommet one laying around and you are pretty close. I also have a few points distributors that came out of running trucks.
tanusfarms

Post by tanusfarms »

thanks for the offer redcap but the guy before me butchered the wiring pretty bad on this. my guess is when he swapped cabs. i was over at pick a part today and they just processed a new truck. a 74 f100. i was able to snag a points distributor and coil off of it this morning and now i'm headed out to wire it in. I fear due to the wiring job on this truck that unil i can afford to rewire the whole truck this will have to be a custum job on everything.
Greg

Image Image
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

tanusfarms wrote:thanks for the offer redcap but the guy before me butchered the wiring pretty bad on this. my guess is when he swapped cabs. i was over at pick a part today and they just processed a new truck. a 74 f100. i was able to snag a points distributor and coil off of it this morning and now i'm headed out to wire it in. I fear due to the wiring job on this truck that unil i can afford to rewire the whole truck this will have to be a custum job on everything.
No worries. Around here somewhere (in my pit of a barn), I've got the wiring for Duraspark too. Might even still have another set of it on my parts truck. Let me know if you need a hand or are looking for parts, I'll try to help you out.
cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cdeal28078 »

If you need a distributor why would you be looking for a points type? For the same money or close to the same you could put an electronic ignition in there and have better performance and less maintenance.
clint
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD
tanusfarms

Post by tanusfarms »

I will eventually put electronic into it. Alot of the reasoning behind the decision to go to points is the simplicity of wiring it in. The truck i have has a motor that required a electronic but a cab that wasn't wired for one. i just purchased this truck from asome one who thought they could just stab one in and in the process butchered my wiring harness and left me with no ignition. I now get to 1) fix the wiring and 2) figure out the fastest and easist way to get this truck on the road which for me in my opinion is the points for now. I am keeping the electronic distributor that was origonally in the motor and the ignition module due to the fact that the jury is still out on whether or not the module is operational or not with the distributor i have.
Greg

Image Image