Solenoid? Switch? Opinions?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

67MercM100

Solenoid? Switch? Opinions?

Post by 67MercM100 »

I was trying to start the ol' M100 a while ago. Had the charger on the battery. Saw a spark from the negative battery post and then...nuthin'. Absolutely nuthin'. No dash lights; so starter crank; no solenoid click; nuthin'.

The battery still seems to have 12 volts.

What do you think I fried? BOTH the solenoid and the igintion switch are/were new. I'd rather try to zero-in on the problem and fix it rather than trial-and-error.

Any tips on testing one or the other? Or should I just try replacing them one at a time?
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Solenoid? Switch? Opinions?

Post by ToughOldFord »

On the starter relay run a jumper from the large terminal on one side to the large terminal on the other. Use jumper cables or a very large gauge wire. If it turns over then it's the relay, ignition switch, or the wiring between the two.
Then use a jumper between the hot side of the battery to the small terminal in the front of the relay, the terminal closest to the front of the truck. If it then turns over then the relay is okay and it's either the ignition switch or the wiring.
Then put a test light on that small terminal and turn the ignition switch to the start position. If the test light lights then the wiring and ignition switch is okay.
If it still doesn't turn over then run your jumper cable from the hot side of the battery to the terminal on the starter. If it doesn't turn over then it's either the starter, the ground, or the battery.
seattle67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by seattle67 »

Sounds like a dirty or loose connection to me. Clean and tighten the battery posts and clamps then see what happens.
Dan

"I plan to start procastinating immediately"

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

thats the old bad connection at the battery post syndrome. twist the battery cable and it will make contact again. or take it off clean it again and put it back on.
bumpside

Post by bumpside »

:yt: :)
1972 SWB Ranger XLT
`We'll hold the distinction of being the only Nation in the history of the world that ever went to the poor house in an automobile.' (Will Rogers)
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Yep, classic bad connection/bad battery cable(s).
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
67MercM100

Post by 67MercM100 »

:thup: Thanks guys!!