Bent push rods again!!!

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

marine6212

Bent push rods again!!!

Post by marine6212 »

I put new push rods in the 390 about 1 week ago. drove it all last week with no problems!! went to start the truck and take it for a drive yesterday and it had no power and was smoking alot. today I pulled the valve covers and 4 push rods are bent again. What is causing this. I have been very careful not to rev the motor and have driven it like a 80 yr old man. just putting along. never getting above 50.

any suggenstions would be helpful!!

Semperfi,
Marine6212
We all came together, both young and old.
To fight for our freedom, to stand and be bold.
In the midst of all evil, we stand our ground.
And we protect our country from all terror around. Peace and not war, is what some people say. But I'll give my life, so you can live the American way. I give you the right to talk of your peace. To stand in your groups, and protest in our streets. But still I fight on, I don't bitch, I don't whine.
bumpside

Re: Bent push rods again!!!

Post by bumpside »

Wrong pushrods ( TOO LONG) :?
Stretched timing chain :?
Cam lift too high for springs ( binding ) :?
Valve lash set way too tight :?
Valves hitting pistons :?
Ignition timing too advanced :?
Cam indexed improperly :?
Finnagin pins and chrome muffler bearings binding on do-dads next to the framble rods :? :D :D

Hope this helps :)
1972 SWB Ranger XLT
`We'll hold the distinction of being the only Nation in the history of the world that ever went to the poor house in an automobile.' (Will Rogers)
bumpside

Post by bumpside »

I just checked in a PAW catalog and there are different length pushrods overlaping in years from 1961 to 1976.
The lengths are--------9.620
9.157 with adj. rocker arms

Some of the lengths are close enough to look the same at a glance, but cause the troubble you are having. Check the new ones against the old ones.
1972 SWB Ranger XLT
`We'll hold the distinction of being the only Nation in the history of the world that ever went to the poor house in an automobile.' (Will Rogers)
taylor351
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by taylor351 »

Do not forget to replace the canuder valve when you get your new chrome muffler bearings. The framble rods always wear those little buggers out, but you have to buy that left handed screwdrivers, otherwise you will never get them back in. :D :D :D

Keith
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab 4.7 liter Daily Driver
1993 f150 351 4x4
1969 f100 Ranger daily driver wantabe
1972 classic c10
Proudly serving Christ since 2000
God bless our troops
A bitter rural American clinging to my guns and my religion.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

The reason the pushrods are bending is tight, gummed-up or dry (lack of oil) valve guides. Remove the spark plug from the suspect cylinder(s), stuff a length of cotton rope in the cylinder, carefully rotate the piston to the top of the bore and pull the valve spring off. Rotate the piston down the bore a little (but not enough to let the valve drop into the cylinder) and see how easily the valve slides up and down in the guide.

Post by 427 »

They could possibly be rubbing against the intake.The holes might need to be opened up.
68 f100 427 r code 4spd toploader
69 f350 390 4spd hauler bed
72 Ford Bronco 302 3spd
95 Ford Lightning
38 John Deere G
Assorted old Honda ATC,s
two-bit
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by two-bit »

I had the same problem in my 390 T-bird block when i rebuilt it.
Turns out .509 lift is to much for stock valve springs. I had spring bind, bent pushrods, a very unhappy truck.
Got some better valve springs, new pushrods, and then i had a happy truck :thup: :thup:

BobbyFord may be onto something, my concern would be why are the guides starved for oil?

I am not sure of your engine background, fresh rebuild?, rework an old one? If you are reworking old parts, you might want to check your oil passages.

This stuff can really hard to diagnose on line. There are so many things a seasoned mechanic can spot by hearing an engine run or even looking at it for a few minutes.
Keep feeding us info. Eventually it will get figured out.

Two-bit
Living life full throttle on the North Coast of America!!!

72' F-350, DRW, 360, NP435, Dana 70, 159" WB, P.S., P.B., 12' flatbed, 10,000 GVW.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

The pushrod is the weakest link. When the guides are gummed up with sludge or tight or dry, the cam pushes the lifter up but the valve is hung up in the guide, resulting in a bent pushrod.
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

427 wrote:They could possibly be rubbing against the intake.The holes might need to be opened up.
I worked and work exclusively on FEs since 1969 (well a couple of SBFs and BBCs and Pontiknocks a Few Hemis and 1 440) and I never saw them bent from intake manifolds rubbing. I have seen them shiny when the high lift cam angled the rocker so far that they rubbed.

#1 stock engine bent pushrod cause! Overrevving
#2 Binding rocker arms on shafts.
#3 Sticking valves especially with sunken valves.

If cam is stock check by rotating the engine that all the new push rods open the valves with out bending/binding at all. Without push rods use a pry bar and test valve freedom of movement and with the rocker shafts off inspect them for tight rockers and slide them sideways and look for burnt blue rocker shafts under the rockers. That is an indication of clogged oil passages to the shafts.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Dragon wrote:
427 wrote:They could possibly be rubbing against the intake.The holes might need to be opened up.
I worked and work exclusively on FEs since 1969 (well a couple of SBFs and BBCs and Pontiknocks a Few Hemis and 1 440) and I never saw them bent from intake manifolds rubbing. I have seen them shiny when the high lift cam angled the rocker so far that they rubbed.

#1 stock engine bent pushrod cause! Overrevving
#2 Binding rocker arms on shafts.
#3 Sticking valves especially with sunken valves.

If cam is stock check by rotating the engine that all the new push rods open the valves with out bending/binding at all. Without push rods use a pry bar and test valve freedom of movement and with the rocker shafts off inspect them for tight rockers and slide them sideways and look for burnt blue rocker shafts under the rockers. That is an indication of clogged oil passages to the shafts.
:hmm: Hmmm, I'd have to disagree with the over-rev theory...I've hit 6500 a couple of times on missed shifts in my Mustang without a bent pushrod.
I'll go with the binding rocker arms, however. Unless somebody missed tight rockers during assembly (?) I'd say lack of lube would be the cause of hung up rockers.
My bet is still on sludgy guides.
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

Mustangs yes Trucks have different spring sets and I hit 5300 in my 390 and again bent push rods. It is a 65 Car 390. My 360 bent them at 5100. My 67 Super Stock Factory Stang hit 6800 once on a missed shift and never had coil bind or bent push rods.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

I still gotta disagree with the over-rev. The 390 in my '63 Uni shifts at 6,000, when mashed and hasn't bent a push rod in the 25 years that I've owned it. Same heads and springs on 4 different engines.
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

I have overrevved my stock truck engine and had the engine get instantly sick. Upon arriving home raised the hood and #4, 7 and 2 had bent intakes and 8 had bent exhaust push rod.

And like I said trucks. You are still talking cars. This is a truck forum.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Dragon wrote:I have overrevved my stock truck engine and had the engine get instantly sick. Upon arriving home raised the hood and #4, 7 and 2 had bent intakes and 8 had bent exhaust push rod.

And like I said trucks. You are still talking cars. This is a truck forum.
My '63 Uni IS a truck. With D2TA heads. Shifts at 6,000 rpms with stock valves, springs and pushrods.
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

Your point? Mine does it, yours doesn't. So where is this argument going?
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test