Fuel pump bull#$%^

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Fuel pump bull#$%^

Post by fordman »

i have a brand new fuel pump. one of the banded type on a 390. i tested it just in case before it was put on and it worked fine. new rubber lines clean and clear with clamps. the shuction hose is running into a fresh gallon can sitting on the fender well. why wont this mother f$%&^&**. pump fuel?

where is the best place to get a good pump with the screws in it and not one of those banded together pumps? i think npd but downloading those pdf catalogs takes me a half an hour for each page downloaded. am i right. lmc and dc both have the banded pumps.
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Fuel pump bull#$%^

Post by sideoilerfe »

Return the one you bought and get another one.

I've never had a problem with the fuel pumps that I've bought new.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

please excuse me for my earlier comments. i have been messing with this too long to be wasting much more time on it.

there is no return on it. i have had it sitting on the shelf too long.
the only two things i can think of is it got some junk in the pump and now it wont pump. and or the pump is above the ecentric. but i dont think that is whats happening. this is the second truck to have the same problem. i still cant get my 68 to get fuel either. but that could be rotten rubber lines from the tank. i just dont know wha tto do. i cant keep buying these pumps. i had three good ones on the shelf. now none of them are working again. with the bull. i used this one because i knew it was brand new. the other two were used and worked when i put them on the shelf. way are they dead all of the sudden. i cant get them to work by hand. they will suck but not blow.

i just want to know where to get a real pump. does anyone know. no more chinese made junk for me.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Try sucking some fuel with a vac pump and the catch jar, see if it is able to be pulled from the tank. If you have the inlet on the long tube in the catch jar, look for bubbles, might mean you are sucking air.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i eliminated sucking from the tank. i am sucking out of a gallon can full of fresh gas. all possible air sucking has been eliminated. new hoses and clamps new pump never been on a engine until now. it was working on the bench and now its not working on the truck.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Did you lose the camshaft dowel (and thus the fule pump eccentric)?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i considered that and i dont know. i will have to pull the pump to find out. it looks like i am going to have to pull it anyway.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Ya got something going on besides 3 fuel pumps that died laying on the shelf.
One time I had a fuel problem, fought it for quite a while, it was vapour lock. I put on a new pressure regulator between the pump and carb. It wouldn't run. I had fuel pumping to the carb but the carb was empty :? :?
I take the carb apart a couple times, getting ticked off by now. Anyway I end up finding a clear plastic shell about the size of a popcorn husk, lodged in the fuel inlet on the needle valve, weird stuff happens.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
7DF250

Post by 7DF250 »

I don't know what engine application you are working with. But I think the pumps filter flipped down the line. It isn't the wrong year and thus upside down?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

its a 390 the only filter that we have on it right now is the one inside the pump.
7DF250

Post by 7DF250 »

I've got a 300, and the pump filter orientation changed from top to bottom somewhere down the line. So, if I tried to mount the newer pump with the filter on the bottom onto the engine oriented with the filter on the top (Which is how that year pump filter is oriented) it would be upside down. Anyway, I did buy the wrong pump and it will mount upside down. Just a thought.