electric choke on a '71

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

darken7

electric choke on a '71

Post by darken7 »

I have a '71 F250 w/390-2bbl and I have put an electric choke off of a later model ford on it. I have no idea about wiring it in to the system, but do know that I need to wire it to something that comes on with the ignition switch. I have one of the testers with the alligator clip to check for a live wire, but I am a little cloudy about how to use it. Could i please ask the powers that be for yet another guiding light in this venture? If any additional info is needed, please feel free to ask.
Thanks,
Darken7 http://www.fordification.com/forum/post ... e=post&f=3#
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: electric choke on a '71

Post by fordman »

hook it to the stator side of the alternator. i think thats what i read before. someone please confirm that for me.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Confirmed. You may find a lead off the regulator S terminal.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Thunderfoot »

darken7 wrote: I have one of the testers with the alligator clip to check for a live wire, but I am a little cloudy about how to use it. Could i please ask the powers that be for yet another guiding light in this venture?
For a test light like this (photo below) clamp the alligator clip to metal that is grounded on the truck, then when you touch the pointy end on any 12V source the light will come on inside it. :thup:

Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

You kinda need a volt meter. The choke works best, and was designed to, on about 9 volts, which is what stator voltage is. Plus it doesn't get voltage until the engine starts. If you have it to a key on source and have any trouble with a cold start, the choke will be open before the engine ever fires up. especially on full voltage.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
darken7

Post by darken7 »

When I looked at my alternator, the stator post had nothing on it. Is this normal? Do I have the wrong post? I am just curious because the weather has not been cold enough to fully engage the choke. Another thing: Once the thing is working, what index mark do I set it to? Also thanks for the help with the tester light thing. I have a volt meter, but again I am a bit inapt in operating it. Thanks for the help.

Darken7
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i am guessing but i think you want to set the indicator at the second line back towards the cab.