390 for the Street...

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

stangconv

390 for the Street...

Post by stangconv »

Well I think I am leaning towards a 390 I found a "rebuilt" 390 with on 5000kms. So I was thinking of keeping the bottom end and doing some top end work. I was thinking cam, intake carb, and some heads. I was looking around my local craigslist, and I saw someone with 2 Offenhauser intakes for sale. His ad just said this
OFFENHAUSER INTAKES ONE IS A SINGLE PLANE 360*
ONE PORT O SONIC SINGLE PLANE,
MUST SELL TRADES?

So trying to find out more, I found summit has these ones

Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic Intake Manifolds
Intake Manifold, Port-O-Sonic, Single Plane, Aluminum, Natural, Spread Bore, Ford, 352-428, FE, Each
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

Offenhauser 360 Deg. Single Quad 4500 High-Rise Intake Manifolds
Intake Manifold, 360 Degree, Split Single Plane, Aluminum, Natural, Dominator, Ford, 352-428, FE, Each
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

So these must be the ones he is selling?

Are these any good? Are they gonna work for a torquey street machine? Which one is more suited for me (if either?)

Whats a decent combintation OF heads intake Carb for this application? Bear in mind that I dont want to remortgage my house, but I will look around for used stuff.

Thanks
stangconv

Re: 390 for the Street...

Post by stangconv »

His reply to me asking for more information on the 2
have the offy, port o donic priced at 500obo cash and looks brand new, i just had it beadblasted,inside and out, and the runners are virgin to porting
this intake performs from 2500 to over 8000 rpm, and is a serious horse power builder, its over 700 on summit and thats in the us! so almost another 100-125 shipping and duty on that , so i think im priced fair

the offy 360 degree is more a tourque building intake and performs best to 5000 rpm. had it beadblasted and clearcoated, it has been used for about 20 hours since clearcoating and looks good, some yellowing but overall good ,some mild port matching done and is priced at 300 cash for it
i couls beadblast it for an xtra 50 dollars and it would look new thanks!
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

The Port O Sonic is an all out racing manifold. In my opinion "4500 - Dominator" and "Street" don't belong in the same sentence.

The 360 does not have a good reputation...

Go over to the FE Forumand search the intake names and also for the "great FE intake comparo" by Jay Brown, you'll get lots of intake answers...

EDIT: FE Forum
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
stangconv

Post by stangconv »

Cool here is the link if anyones trying to find it...
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/me ... ld+Comparo
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Excellent...

I think we may have to ask if we can PDF that somehow and put it in the FAQ... Pictures are working again too!
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

We have had a good bit of conversation about the Edelbrock Performer on the "hotrodding a 360" thread.

My advice is as follows...

650-750 carb - if it is a manual transmission you might get by with a double pumper, but for a big heavy truck (particularly an automatic one) a vacuum secondary is usually a better choice. Vacuum secondary’s are also more forgiving of being oversized.

Cam needs to be matched to compression, heads, transmission, gearing and intended use.

An Edelbrock RPM would serve a high performance motor, but I think the Blue Thunders are higher quality. The quality is reflected in the price. Factory Cobra Jet manifolds can sometime be found quite reasonably and are excellent manifolds, the ports will need to be epoxy filled to match the 390 heads though.
Robert

stangconv

Post by stangconv »

Yeah that makes sense... But if I can pick up the Performer intake for $50 that could be quite the savings.

I will definitly look into the CJ manifold and heads... Would they be comparable in power to the rpm heads with a Performer intake?
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Real CJ heads might cost more than Edelbrocks, but edelbrock makes a CJ version that would match up with the CJ intake, of course filling the port floors isn't hard and it takes the "dip" out of the intake runner...

You could also watch the classifieds at FE forum, used manifolds come up there a good bit and I bought a very nice used Blue Thunder for less than a new performer. And there are a fair number of Canadian posters so you might find one up there.

I don't know how hot of a motor you are looking for, but the very common C8AE-H and D2TE-AA heads are actually pretty good and would suport as much power as the performer intake, so you might want to just try a moderate cam and that intake without dropping all of the money on the heads if the engine is new (rebuilt). Also "rebuilt 390" could be anything from a 180 HP truck motor up to a 335 (i think it was) car motor...
Robert

Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

If it's been glass bead blasted, don't buy it.
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by rubiranch »

Jake11 wrote:If it's been glass bead blasted, don't buy it.
Why?
72 F-250 CS XLT 390 C-6 4.10 40k miles
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
I don't carry because I have to, I carry because I get to.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=514
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

stangconv wrote:Cool here is the link if anyones trying to find it...
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/me ... ld+Comparo
You can use this search term (with the quotes) to find the complete series...

Pay atention though as the engine changed so results beween parts may not directly compare.

"Great FE Intake Comparo - Report"
Robert

Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Glass beads get in everywhere. They are quartz, and harder then steel. They come loose when the motors running.
Not good. Very not good. Jake
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by rubiranch »

Jake11 wrote:Glass beads get in everywhere. They are quartz, and harder then steel. They come loose when the motors running.
Thanks, I didn't know that (amongst millions of other things :lol:)

:fr:
72 F-250 CS XLT 390 C-6 4.10 40k miles
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
I don't carry because I have to, I carry because I get to.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=514
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Jake11 wrote:Glass beads get in everywhere. They are quartz, and harder then steel. They come loose when the motors running.
Plus as a lesser negative, glass beading totally ruins the look of aluminum and makes it rough. Many of the guys who buy vintage aluminum intakes and valve covers won't take them at any price if they have been roughed up by glass beading.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

I would focus on picking heads and headers first. The most important 1st step on an FE IMHO is headers and a good dual exhaust. Once you have that, the overlap period can pull some intake charge in and thatsa good thing, truck manifolds are bad

Now, the stock C8AE-H and C7AE-A heads have a different exhaust port location than earlier C6AE-R, Cobrajet and Edelbrock heads, so you need pick a header/head combo before you worry about the intake.

After you have that worked out, I personally, as in the other post would go Streetmaster, Street Dominator, or RPM, but I am also realistic in the fact that budgets dont always allow that.

I would not run a Performer with a good set of RPM heads, but I would run a Performer with stock heads and do a little grinding on it. Combined with headers and a decent low end cam, it'd run real strong
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs