A/C, the Cool subject.

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

A/C, the Cool subject.

Post by ToughOldFord »

Went to Pick N Pull, (Pull a Part, Pull N Save, whatever they currently call themself), this Tuesday and picked up some A/C parts for the '69.
I was mainly after the compressor brackets, but all the extra parts was too much for me to pass up and I was able to pull the compressor, condenser, and dryer without disconnecting the hoses, other than the two going to the actual A/C unit itself. So it should be pretty much drop in and plug in for my truck. And the donor truck still had freon in it when I pulled it apart, so at least it still holds pressure. :)
I also scored an Autolite 4bbl and spacer:
The truck was a pretty fresh retiree to the yard so everything was still there. And this truck was pretty well equipped too, P/S, P/B, A/C, front disc brakes, 1971 F-250 Camper Special. Grill and inserts are still good too. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera with me.
So the carb, spacer, A/C compressor, dryer, condenser, hoses, and brackets totaled $92. Not bad, a little higher than I usually pay there, but the counter guy I usually get wasn't in that morning.
Hopefully soon I'll have A/C in the '69! :clap:
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: A/C, the Cool subject.

Post by ToughOldFord »

BTW, this truck had valve covers I'm not used to seeing on an FE, instead of the usual rounded off ones they had a flat top, a sharp degree on the outside, and then dropped down. Similar to the kind I've seen on 351/400s.
They were stock from the looks of them. Normally I'd attribute a change like this to being a later model truck than my own, but I had a '76 with a 360 and it had the typical rounded off valve covers. So I dunno. :?
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

:thup: :thup: good score-a/c is more of a necessity than a luxury
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

Did those valve covers seem a little taller than normal?
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

You know, they might have been. Not sure though, the difference in design might be deceiving me. If so I take it that could mean an improved valve train of some sorts? :hmm:
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

ToughOldFord, I have been searching for an hour and can not find any mention of them. If memory serves me correctly in the stock form they were on late model 428's with adjustable rockers. To describe them better they are steel valve covers a little taller than we are used to. They are nearly flat on top and resemble the aluminum cobra lemans valve covers in shape and height but with out the fins. I do not know how much trouble it would be to return to were they were. It might be a real special find for you. If you were to pull one and it did indeed have a adjustable valve train I think I would have to pull a plug and check the stroke. That valve cover is one indicater of a 428 if still on the correct engine. I always look for them and have never found one myself. I also see those valve covers on ebay in good shape going for over $100.00 Good luck, I'm jealous
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Darn, I don't have a trip out there planed, that yard is 80 miles away. That might goose me to get out there and check though, I'm curious now. I'll let you know what I find out. I'll bring my camera this time too.
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

ToughOld Ford, I have found some pics of them. They are called the pent roof valve covers. This link is to DSC motor sports. Go to the cylinder heads and valve train section. Go to valve covers and then click on Chrome pent roof FE and Mercury Pent roof and Mercury pent roof chrome. http://www.dscmotorsport.com/Cylinder/index.htm
This is not the view you saw standing at the front of the engine but maybe you will be able to recognize them. Good luck
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

That flat top and the sharp bend is exactly what I saw, but I don't recall the ends being that rounded off. Could be wrong though, I didn't study them real close.
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

ToughOldFord, This link is another pic of them. Second pic from the top. They are as tall as the Cobra lemans in the third pic from the top http://www.secondstrike.com/Technical/W ... Covers.htm

These articles are calling them 427 valve covers. Man it just gets better every minute. Good luck and keep me posted.
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

ToughOld Ford, Here is the link to survival motorsports. He has a pic with the front view on his main page. http://www.survivalmotorsports.com/
This pic might look better to you
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

I did get back to this (last week, I'm so slow), got some pics this time. I'll upload them when I get on my laptop. This PC has Window$ XP and nothing works under XP. :x
It's defiantly not stock for the truck, it's a '65, casting number C5AE-A.
A google mostly shows it to be a '65 390, but Keith's list shows it could be a 390, 427, or 330.

http://www.fordification.com/FEcasting-numbers.htm

I took off a valve cover, it's hydraulic lifter. Now that I think about it I should have grabbed that thermostat housing since it should be the larger ID type.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Clarko
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Clarko »

Well it's a 4-bbl which already says it aint stock.
Brian
1969 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 465FE/C6 (waiting on AOD)
1988 Bronco 351W/AOD
1994 Bronco 351W/E4OD
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

TOF, Its not a 330 because thats not a FT engine, I don,t see a FT dist.
Then its not a 1965, 427 top loader unless a 4V manifold was c/o with the 8V manifold that came on it
The 1965 427 top loader was a 8V R code
In 1965 they had a 390 4V P code Police and a 390 4V Z code. Did you happen to get the head Numbers?
Was that a S code intake?
Did you get those valve covers and some other parts off of it?
I'm not sure if those are the pent roof valve covers or not. They seem to be shaped right but dont seem tall enough.
Well you at the least found a 390 and not a 360 like the majority of them. I don't think its the P code if it had hyd. lifters.