Differences in tailgates

Moderator: FORDification

71Ford100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Differences in tailgates

Post by 71Ford100 »

I was wondering if all years of the tailgates interchange. I was looking at the one on ebay. It's like the one on Keith's. Would it be the right one for my pickup. I think my pickup is an explorer with package A. The side emblems are missing. Their is 3 holes were they would go.
lobuck76

re: Differences in tailgates

Post by lobuck76 »

I'm not sure about the trim packages, but anything from '67 to '72 will bolt up and look right.
The tailgates from the previous models starting about '64 I think will also bolt up and look pretty close. I've got a nice one from a '64 model I'll probabley use on my '71 f100.
The tailgates from the '73 to '79 trucks will also bolt up and work, but the body lines don't match up.
If I'm telling it wrong maybe some one will chime in and get closer on the year models. Ron
'71 F-100
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Differences in tailgates

Post by FORDification »

Check out http://www.fordification.com/trim.htm#Tailgates for everything you need to know about tailgates and tailgate trim. (Well, almost everything...that section still needs a few minor additions. I'm still researching which tailgates got chrome release handles and which were painted.)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!