67 F100 Crown Vic suspension, Diesel engine, disc brakes

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

carcrafter22

Re: 67 F100 Crown Vic suspension, Diesel engine, disc brakes

Post by carcrafter22 »

I started on the fuel tank this evening after finding some 1x1" square tubing. I got it all mocked up and found that I will have to cut some of the IRS subframe to make it go where I want it to. I dont have a problem cutting the subframe since the part that will be cut is going to be minor and is not a critical part at all.

This red line shows where I will make the cut at the back of the IRS, I will notch this part out and box it back in to reinforce it.

This is just a side shot of the fuel tank in place, here you can see how far it sticks out the back of the frame and where it hits the IRS.

This is a kinda crappy shot of how the tank sits in the frame and how high it sits off the ground. I am happy with how high it sits. This is a 22 gallon tank and there is plenty of clearance between the top of the tank and the bottom of the bed and plenty of clearance from the bottom of the tank to the ground. The tank also sits about 1-1.5" higher than the bottom of the IRS.
Ignore the messy garage, my shop is full of another 67f100 parts truck so I am limited on space.

I have finally decided I will install a bulkhead in through the top of the tank for the sending and return lines and I will weld the original fill hole up and install a new one in the front drivers side corner angled towards the outside of the truck. I want the fuel fill to be on the inside of the bed about half way up on the drivers side. I hope to have the fuel tank completely installed along with the fuel lines tomorrow. I also plan on cleaning this mess up so who knows how long that will take LOL.
67 F100 sc/sb 07 Crown Vic IFS, 94 Lincoln Mark 8 IRS, isuzu 3.9L diesel w/ HY35 & HX 52 compound turbos and 370cc custom injection pump,T56 6spd trans, 18" 07 dodge magnumm wheels, old air products A/C (for a 66 mustang LOL). 32 mpg's so far, around town
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

I got the fuel tank installed and lots of other little things here are a few pics. The fuel filter is a 3 micron water/fuel seperator setup, I will be running for my primary filter. The fuel filter pic is decieving, the filter only sits about 1" below the frame so its not gonna hit anything.

67 F100 sc/sb 07 Crown Vic IFS, 94 Lincoln Mark 8 IRS, isuzu 3.9L diesel w/ HY35 & HX 52 compound turbos and 370cc custom injection pump,T56 6spd trans, 18" 07 dodge magnumm wheels, old air products A/C (for a 66 mustang LOL). 32 mpg's so far, around town
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

The rear of the truck is completely finished. I only have a few things up front to do and then I am just left waiting on my injection pump.

Here is the modded fuel tank. I want to have the fill port in halfway up the side of the bed on the inside instead of on the bed floor like most do when they install the mustang tank in these old trucks.

I did weld the new parts in and I am confident in the welds but I jb welded over them, I dont know why, paranoia I guess. I dont want any chance of a fuel leak so I went overboard.

These are just random shots of the IRS, you can also see the brake line routing and the extra bracing I added to the rear of the IRS. I didnt think it had enough bracing in the rear so I added a couple of 3/16" plates.

carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Oil drain is coming together, I need to make the lines now, I will have some stainless braided teflon line since it takes the heat better than regular rubber or braided rubber line.

carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Here are some shots of the turbo drains installed. You guys have no idea how hard it is to install these MFers. I finally kicked its ass but it took a good bit of blood and sweat literally, my left hand looks like I stuck it in a bucket of razor blades oh well its on now.

As you can see lots of room to work what with the twin turbos, steering, brake lines, master cylinder/hydroboost and wiring, you know not much in the way really.
1967AceStroker
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1967AceStroker »

carcrafter22 wrote: Image
That play-doh, man thats some high tech stuff, better than bailing wire, or duct tape. Which color are you going with? :lol: :evil:

Your build is looking sweet and real clean, seems like you always make a lot of progress. When you finish, you should do a quick burnout video with them twin turbos.
My Project Thread (Not updated in years.)
1967 F-100, Shortbed, 351W - 72mm Single Turbo - Megasquirt MS3x Engine Management, Tremec TKO 500, Ford 9" - Strange Nodular Center Section - Strange 35 Spline Axles - Strange Full Spool - Caltracs - DJM Drop Kit, Crown Vic IFS Swapped - 2 Coils Cut, Power Steering, Power 4 Wheel Disc Brakes, Paint - Kona Blue
mljjones67
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by mljjones67 »

As always nice work Randy. :thup:
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Thanks guys.

The playdough is a high tech tool thats necessary for the professional craftsman in todays modern age, plus its fun to play with :D I claim I bought it for my daughter but I like to use it for checking clearances in places I cant see 8) dont tell anyone
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

I got bored and felt like doing something stupid so I started on the exhaust YAY!!! FUN!! (not)

carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Completed exhaust for now, I still need to get another 45* piece and put the bed on so I can tell how far and at what angle I need to run the exhaust out to, for now it will work the way it is. I will eventually wrap the downpipe with 2 thick layers of header wrap to help keep heat off the master cylinder reservoir. I will post pics of it installed tomorrow, I have been busy with yard work this evening so not much time to reinstall it, although its pretty easy now that the fender is cut out.

carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Thunderfoot »

Looking good :thup: not much room around the master cylinder is there :eek:
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Thanks Shayne but what do you mean? I can fit lots of things around that master cylinder wire, greased bb's, water, air ummm.... LOL

I still need to make a stainless steel shield to protect the master cylinder and reservoir from all the exhuast parts. I am also still looking into moving them both under the dash so I have more room and it looks cleaner under the hood.

Randy
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Thunderfoot »

Hey Randy,
Yeah I'm thinking that you are going to have some heat issues there. :lol:
Here are a couple of links I found for some ideas, if you haven't seen them already...
http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/hanging_ ... blies.html
http://www.kugelkomponents.com/products ... ystem.html
Kind of a fancy mouse trap but it should work if there is enough room under the dash...

Looking forwards to your next video of it running on the road again. :thup:
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Thanks, I have been looking at that kugel setup for a while. I to call them and talk about it. I will get a price when I do. I have another 67 f100 in my shop so I may just wind up using it for a moch up piece and see if I can make my own setup. I will have to measure the underside of the dash to see if it will even fit.

Thanks again
Randy