Me myself and my truck

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

mytmatt
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Me myself and my truck

Post by mytmatt »

They're both FE motors, Nick. Most parts interchange. The big difference between 352s 360s, 390s and 428s are bore and stroke, although there are other differences. Other than measuring bore and stroke, I don't think there's any other way to positively ID your motor. As Charles said, chances of your truck having the original engine in it are slim, though it does happen.

Matt
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

F10= F100-2wd
Y= 352-2v-1967---360-2v-1968-1972
R= San Jose, Ca.
B=? This must be a 8 and the first letter of the serial #
Nickabocker

Post by Nickabocker »

ok i found it this is the original 352 that was special ordered when the truck was made. Does anyone here know how much a machine shop would charge to rebuild it? just because to be honest i have no idea what i am doing when it comes to the rebuilding process.
Nick
shanmeg1

Post by shanmeg1 »

Welcome and good luck with the truck. A lot of good people on this site to give you tips and advise. John
1972 F100 302
1989 F150 5.0 Auto LWB
2004 Crown
2004 Taurus SEL
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

Nick, I think the average rebuild with you taking the motor to them is about $1000-$1500. It all depends on how bad/good it is and what you want in it. jmo
fourtss

Post by fourtss »

there should be a small vin plate bolted down with the coil to tell you motor size, and rebuild that engine yourself, you'll never learn if you never do, good luck to you :eek:
tom
2003 ford escape
1997 dodge 1500 4wd 5speed, 1963 Cheby Corvair,
Nickabocker

Post by Nickabocker »

where do you get a machine that does hold boring and stuff?
mytmatt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mytmatt »

If you mean cylinder bores Nick, they are pretty expensive. Unless you are planning on going into the automotive machine business, boring the cylinders is something you should have done (same with turning the crank or boring your bearing journals). Cylinder bores (IIRC) have +/- .0005 tolerance, that is one half of one-thousandth of an inch. If your block just needs them honed though, that is another story.

The long and short of it is that automotive machine work is best left to the pros. Just my opinion-

Matt
Nickabocker

Post by Nickabocker »

thats respectible.....just a question when i do take this apart how much will the charge to bore(or hone) the cylinders and put new sleves on too?
mytmatt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mytmatt »

Cost is going to vary depending on several factors...not least of which is how reputable the shop you are dealing with is. IMO it is best to pay a little more at this stage to deal with people you are confident know what they are doing, and will do a good job. If there is a local shop that you can get good reports from their existing customers, I would use them. If the machine work is not done right it is tough for anything else to go right.
Nickabocker

Post by Nickabocker »

update:
Just replaced the Distributer Condencer
Voltae reulator
and upper radiator house

ok my new question is

When i started my truck it started riht up.......then after about a few mins of runnin i pressed the as and it wanted to die :hmm: then all of a suden it just died i left it alone for a few mins came back outside and it started up......then died aain.....i left it alone for a few days then it started and died one last time.......WHYS IT DOIN THIS????

Nick
splavin90

Post by splavin90 »

:wel: from oregon

i'm 16 too 8)

Nickabocker wrote:update:
Just replaced the Distributer Condencer
Voltae reulator
and upper radiator house

ok my new question is

When i started my truck it started riht up.......then after about a few mins of runnin i pressed the as and it wanted to die :hmm: then all of a suden it just died i left it alone for a few mins came back outside and it started up......then died aain.....i left it alone for a few days then it started and died one last time.......WHYS IT DOIN THIS????

Nick

i think it would be better to post a thread about your engine problems in the engine fourm, you would get more replys, i'd think, as i've been a part of fordification and i hardly ever go into the welcome mat.

i think, that maybe your engine problems could be the accelerator pump on your carb.

:fr:
69 F100 81' 302 / 73' fmx

I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than go driving with Kennedy
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Welcome to the best Ford forum there is.
This is a good place. 8)
Levi W. Kring

Post by Levi W. Kring »

Welcome from Az. Good luck with the project. You'll find some real experts in here. GOOD PEOPLE!!!!
I love my "67
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

i know youve been here for a bit now, but DANG! thats a niiiiiiiice dash you got!