Lift Blocks Legal??

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Lift Blocks Legal??

Post by averagef250 »

FordTruck wrote:I'm not going to touch the lift blocks instead I'm gonna take the leaf packs off of my 72 Camper Special parts truck and combine some of its leafs with the pack on the highboy and make me a lift.

So let me get this straight here. Your plan is to take some low arch 2wd rear leafs that are 2 1/4" wide and mix them in with the 3" wide front springs under your F250 4x4? Yeah, that'll work super.

Camper special really means nothing suspension wise. The CS trucks got a front sway bar, some extra wiring and neat badge. They have the same springs as any other 2wd 250. F-250 4x4's use heavier rear springs, they're the same spring pack as an F-350 single wheel 2wd.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
FordTruck
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by FordTruck »

averagef250 wrote:
FordTruck wrote:I'm not going to touch the lift blocks instead I'm gonna take the leaf packs off of my 72 Camper Special parts truck and combine some of its leafs with the pack on the highboy and make me a lift.

So let me get this straight here. Your plan is to take some low arch 2wd rear leafs that are 2 1/4" wide and mix them in with the 3" wide front springs under your F250 4x4? Yeah, that'll work super.

Camper special really means nothing suspension wise. The CS trucks got a front sway bar, some extra wiring and neat badge. They have the same springs as any other 2wd 250. F-250 4x4's use heavier rear springs, they're the same spring pack as an F-350 single wheel 2wd.
So it wouldn't work? I don't have an abundant supply of trucks,money and tools so I'm trying to make the best with what I got. I don't see why adding a couple of F250 to the 4x4 pack wouldn't raise it up if I put them all together and have them re-arched. I looked into the lift kit $700 and all it is is some front leaf springs with a little more arch.
"Flyin High On Caffine And Copenhagen" R.I.P Chris LeDoux

60 Mercury Comet
65 Ford Econoline
72 Ford F100 on 79 4x4 SWB frame
77 Ford F250 "lowboy" 4x4
09 Harley Xl1200c
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

FordTruck wrote:
So it wouldn't work? I don't have an abundant supply of trucks,money and tools so I'm trying to make the best with what I got. I don't see why adding a couple of F250 to the 4x4 pack wouldn't raise it up if I put them all together and have them re-arched. I looked into the lift kit $700 and all it is is some front leaf springs with a little more arch.

I'd like to politely suggest that you put the idea of a lift on hold until your finances can afford it. :) A nice stock height truck would be far better than a lifted death trap. Spring leafs ( plys is the correct name ) are designed to work together as an assembly. Mixing plys of different widths is going to create stresses that the designers never thought of.
Clay

72 F100 4x2 Custom,289, C4 " Slow Ride "
70 F250 4x2 Ranger XLT , 360, C6 "B52 - IV"
96 F150 4x2 XL, 300, E4OD, daily driver

" Professional Wrecker Operators - We Pull for America "
72Highboy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 72Highboy »

Ok here is my idea but I would only suggest that you do it if you had a friend that can weld and can trust his welds. Payment can be worked out like lets say a case of beer or an I Owe You. :wink:

Now the key here would be proper welds, bracing and guessets. The more strength the better. I am using Rattlecan's pictures of his build for reference. Now forgive me on my photoshop with the 3rd picture I was in a hurry.

This would work if you didn't mind on welding to your frame. You would have to calculate the difference between the front of the leaf spring and the rear of the leaf spring. To have the leaf springs sit right, this way you could retain stock leaf spring but still get some height. As for the rear you could spend that money you saved on the front and use it for the rear. Now this would be my idea, I have many friends that are certified welders and would be happy to weld this up for a case of beer and I have access to my school shop that has tons of scrap metal with different size's and thickness if this happened to be my situation. Now in your case you might not have any friends that are certi. welders or have and access to peice's of scrap metal but its just an idea.

The only thing that would consern me would be the two metal flat straps that are bolts to the frame and leaft sping. Those two straps would have to be definitly re-enforced. That would be your one weak link. Again this could be a bad idea but it was just an idea and also safety is the key thing here as stated above sometimes it better to be safe and save up for the proper stuff than to chance it.
Joshua
aka Young Gun 8) :drive:
FE - Famous Engine
(Brandi) 72 F100 360 5.9L Sport Custom 6" Lift
U.S. Army Veteran/11B
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

actually that is how you are suppose to do the front lifts. not with blocks but by longer shackle placements.
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

fordman wrote:actually that is how you are suppose to do the front lifts. not with blocks but by longer shackle placements.
No, you are supposed to do a front end lift with the right springs.
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

This goes back to the original question concerning the legality of lift blocks. IMO if it was a factory installation then the answer would be yes. There are quite a few makes/models of heavy trucks that use riser ( lift ) blocks on the steering axle. The big difference is the blocks are either forged steel or high alloy aluminum sandwiched between the springs and a forged steel axle verses a fabricated block on a stamped steel pad. :)
Clay

FordTruck
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by FordTruck »

72Highboy wrote: This would work if you didn't mind on welding to your frame. You would have to calculate the difference between the front of the leaf spring and the rear of the leaf spring. To have the leaf springs sit right, this way you could retain stock leaf spring but still get some height. As for the rear you could spend that money you saved on the front and use it for the rear. Now this would be my idea, I have many friends that are certified welders and would be happy to weld this up for a case of beer and I have access to my school shop that has tons of scrap metal with different size's and thickness if this happened to be my situation. Now in your case you might not have any friends that are certi. welders or have and access to peice's of scrap metal but its just an idea.

The only thing that would consern me would be the two metal flat straps that are bolts to the frame and leaft sping. Those two straps would have to be definitly re-enforced. That would be your one weak link. Again this could be a bad idea but it was just an idea and also safety is the key thing here as stated above sometimes it better to be safe and save up for the proper stuff than to chance it.
I thought about doing that I'm in welding classes to be certified at the local community college but I'm just not shure if I could get away with tearing down my truck in the middle of the weld shop.
"Flyin High On Caffine And Copenhagen" R.I.P Chris LeDoux

60 Mercury Comet
65 Ford Econoline
72 Ford F100 on 79 4x4 SWB frame
77 Ford F250 "lowboy" 4x4
09 Harley Xl1200c
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

Redcap wrote:
fordman wrote:actually that is how you are suppose to do the front lifts. not with blocks but by longer shackle placements.
No, you are supposed to do a front end lift with the right springs.
larger arches?
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

fordman wrote:larger arches?
Yes. :)
Clay

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

:yt: theres a reason that factory, and aftermarket lift kits use larger arched springs. and a reason why they are all the same width in the same pack.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com