stripped bolt on the intake

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

f100fordtruck

Re: stripped bolt on the intake

Post by f100fordtruck »

still nothin, i'm about to break out the propane torch!
I'll get it one piece at a time and it wont cost me a dime...
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

propane probably won't be hot enough, use MAPP. And seriously spend the couple bucks and pick up a set of those tools I posted, they're under $40 and WILL save your ass, I work on generators for a living and have used them to avoid these kinds of headaches.
1969 Ford F250 Custom Cab 360/C6 - currently under de-construction
FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by FreakysFords »

As to the tool, :yt:

Same tool, different name I guess.

Working on tractors, equipment and all the other neglected "things" I work on, they are life savers!

Mine are straight off the MAC truck, but the shop has the Sears kit and it works quite well (sometimes it's even easier as they're a little shorter than mine)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952166000P

Frank
Darlin 69 Ranger 390 4v, PS, DS II, disc front, 3G alternator, 67 mirror.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

also if your removing the intake, using a could chissel carefully or grinding/snapping the bolt head off. remove the intake and then use vice grips to remove the stubborn bolt.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
f100fordtruck

Post by f100fordtruck »

oldschoolrods wrote:propane probably won't be hot enough, use MAPP. And seriously spend the couple bucks and pick up a set of those tools I posted, they're under $40 and WILL save your ass, I work on generators for a living and have used them to avoid these kinds of headaches.
i would buy the tools, but im short on money. 16 yrs old, I cant get a job till this summer after schools out.
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

Ok, here's Another trick of the trade: Get a metric socket ( i usually use 12 point) that's close in size to the bolt your trying to remove, Drive it on there with a hammer and I mean really drive it on and try and twist it out. This might not work if its rounded off too bad. I really advise against grinding the head off, because if that little stub of thread wont come out it will piss you off even more.
f100fordtruck

Post by f100fordtruck »

oldschoolrods wrote:Ok, here's Another trick of the trade: Get a metric socket ( i usually use 12 point) that's close in size to the bolt your trying to remove, Drive it on there with a hammer and I mean really drive it on and try and twist it out. This might not work if its rounded off too bad. I really advise against grinding the head off, because if that little stub of thread wont come out it will piss you off even more.
If we grind it off were gonna get a pipe wrench or vise grips and try get the bolt out that way. the threads arent in the intake its in the block and once th intake comes off we'll have room to work, and if that dont work, i'll get someone with a welder to weld a nut on it. Oh ive done tryed the smaller socket, no luck.
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

Yeah I understand when it comes off you have more room, sometimes those damn bolts will still not come out, I have even had one that was work hardened and couldn't even be welded too, even by a guy who has been welding for 40 years. Not saying this will happen to you, just trying to save a possible headache before its too late :doh:

Good luck

P.S. If your located anywhere near south east PA i'd let you use my bolt out set
f100fordtruck

Post by f100fordtruck »

oldschoolrods wrote:Yeah I understand when it comes off you have more room, sometimes those damn bolts will still not come out, I have even had one that was work hardened and couldn't even be welded too, even by a guy who has been welding for 40 years. Not saying this will happen to you, just trying to save a possible headache before its too late :doh:

Good luck

P.S. If your located anywhere near south east PA i'd let you use my bolt out set
if northwest Florida is considered close then sweet! haha
and yea i see what your saying