Need help NOW!!!

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Need help NOW!!!

Post by rjewkes »

FreakysFords wrote:Should once you replace the seized oil pump, so the drive socket in it can turn to match the shaft.

Hate to see the barber pole shaft man. Been there a time or two.
Glad you took the time to try and prime it!

Frank
My 302 did that going down the road at 70. but my shaft didn't just "barber pole" it split in half after the barber pole. so it sounds like your oil pump died or got realy close to it and seized up twisting your oil pump drive shaft, and your distributor gear and cam/cam gear happened to be the weakest link. meaning if this hadn't happened on the road your engine would shurely have broke major on the strip possably severly injuring/or killing you and hurting others.

Come to think of it, how many people honestly think to check the oil pump every so often? I do realize it would be one of the first things i checked at the start of oiling issues. And what would be the recommended check After s many miles/hours/years range? or would there be a change pan gasket and toss oil pump for brand new range?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Oil pumps don't just sieze up. I would suspect the cam and distributor got in a fight and as peices began coming off the gears a couple slipped through the pickup screen, oil pump lobe caught one. Quick reality chack, pull the oil filter off and on a sheet of clean cardboard cut it open and check for metal.

I would also suspect your motor is toast... Oil pump failure caused by cam / distributor gear failure. The squeal was most likely the crank bearings screaming for relief.

Your profile says your fifteen so please listen to a glass half empty guy and pull the engine down to a bare block and inspect everything, assume nothing.

Jamie
Last edited by Ranchero50 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

you know never thought about how basicly well lubed the pump should be, unless it is ran dry. Just shows after 29 years of living i still have stuff to learn lol
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by FreakysFords »

Ranchero50 wrote:Oil pumps don't just sieze up.
We actually had a pretty substantial batch that was poorly made back when we still had the parts store. Had several come apart (gear split) from poor "jittery" machining and inferior materials. Wish I could list a manufacturer, but this has been in the system for over 4 yrs now and still isn't resolved. (google's yur friend).

We sold their standard as well as performance lines and ALL has issues. We were out of pocket on getting our customers quality replacements and quite a lot of engine damage.

I've also seen warped casings (usually diesel) from improper installation torque, pin fracture (pin fitment to case too tight, cracking the casting when in use).

Typically though, no, oil pumps don't "just seize up", but in today's world, be well aware that poor quality and high price can often come from the same place.

Frank
Darlin 69 Ranger 390 4v, PS, DS II, disc front, 3G alternator, 67 mirror.
bb429power
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by bb429power »

Okay, based on the way it happened, the oil pump had to have go before the gears to twist the shaft. The squealing was probably the belt because it was a little loose when I checked it.
Justin
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=47482
http://s976.photobucket.com/home/bb429power/allalbums go to both of the albums.
1967 Ford F100 longbed with a 466 500+hp/600+ft-lbs (mine)
1969 Mercury Cougar xr7 with a 351w (dads, I helped alot)
1970 Ford Maverick with a 302 (became our drag car)
1986 f150 5.0 (my DD)
"Many can argue, but it takes a real man to apologize."-Me
bb429power
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by bb429power »

Well I found what REALLY caused this cluster bleep. I valve seal was caught up in the oil pump and locked it up. Now its mainly all back together, the drags are the 24th and Murphy's Rule has kicked in yet again at the last minute. The dizzy wouldn't go in because the cam we got had thicker teeth on it for the distributor. We got another and it was a HUGH difference, all three were the exact same part number but yet we had that problem. :hmm: :doh: :x
Justin
1986 f150 5.0 (my DD)
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

You should listen to Jamie... :wink:
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

:yt:

Over on Stangnet.com I was known as 'The Voice of Reason' :lol:

Drag strips owners and users really love it when guys bring cars that crap out on the grounds or crap all over the strip. :doh:

Do this: :pray: and you'll be doing this: :cry:

Good luck :wf:

:pop:
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
bb429power
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by bb429power »

Well I got here running today. She was running a little low on gas and the header melted an ignition wire so it stalled. We changed the wire and put some gas in the tank but we have to let the battery charge over night. There was no squeeling like before and it was running good. We need to hit it with the light and get it dead on. :D
Justin
1986 f150 5.0 (my DD)
Jarred Hodges
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Jarred Hodges »

good luck at the drags
1971 F-100 swb 401 fe , edelbrock intake, cam, valve covers, longtube headers with twin 2.5 inch exhaust, aluminum wheels.
1965 Mustang 350 glide 7.45 at 90mph
1972 maverick 460 swap in progress
2002 z28 a few bolt ons
bb429power
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by bb429power »

Thanks, I hope we can get it finished. The fuel filter has close to no gas in it and the carb wont spit gas out when you hit the pedal. So it ran out of gas I guess. Now its just over a 1/4 of a tank.
Justin
1986 f150 5.0 (my DD)