starter works but not firing

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: starter works but not firing

Post by fordman »

if you turn the crank half way around one more time the rotor should then again line up with number one. so that test does seem correct but go ahead and trun it half way around just to make sure its correct.
ivansgreat

Post by ivansgreat »

Ok, I haven't had much time to mess around with the truck in a while but today I made some progress. I noticed that no gas was squirting at the carb so I unscrewed the top and put some in the little reservoir, I also got a new battery because the other one was bad. When I turned the switch, it took a while of cranking for the engine to finally start. Also there was a little bit of noise coming from the passenger side of the engine.
I turned the truck on again with quite a bit of cranking first. I tried to turn it on a third time but there was no starting, just the starter turning. When I looked at the starter solenoid I noticed that the wire that leads to the starter was really hot and the plastic on the wire nearest the solenoid actually melted a little bit.

I'm guessing what got the truck to start was the fact that the batter was brand new. No I'm wondering why it needs to crank for so long before it'll start.

If anyone's got some insight into this situation that could help me out I'd really appreciate it.
Ivan

1968 F100 2wd
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

possibly slow fuel delivery. since it has sat not being started.
ivansgreat

Post by ivansgreat »

So, I realized that I can't fix the truck myself. I took it to a mechanic and will call back on Monday. The mechanic told me that the engine is locked up, which is really bad news. I don't really know what could have caused it. Anyways, I just wanted to know if anyone here has had a motor lock up and whether they were able to fix whatever caused it or if you just got a new motor.
Ivan

1968 F100 2wd
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

locked up? you just had it started. unless something broke when you had it running. maybe a rod broke or bent. i dont know. can you turn the engine over with a breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt?
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

An engine can lock up for many reasons. Pouring fuel into the throttle bores can lead to hydrostatic shock. Pull all the plugs and see if it turns over.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
green68250

Post by green68250 »

:yt: If the motor was at least turning over before you took it to the mechanic than they are yanking your chain. If they say you need a long block, take your truck and leave. Sounded to me like a bad fuel pump. If you started it with the fuel you put in the bowl and it ran untill that fuel was gone you have a fuel delivery issue.

Corbin
Honestly, I really would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy.

1969 F-100 4x4 Dana 44 w/ disk brakes and power steering conversion 390 c6 np205.
1970 F-250 97k original miles bone stock 390 np435 most original unmolested truck I have ever owned.
2001 F-250, Extra Cab, 4x4, 7.3 Direct Injected Turbo Diesel, Edge Programmer, Flowmaster 4" Turbo back Exhaust, 3" Leveling Kit with 33" Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs, and has 250,000 miles and counting.
ivansgreat

Post by ivansgreat »

Thanks for the input guys. I did get it to run about 2 weeks ago. The day before I took it to the mechanic I tried turning it on again and it did a weird thing. When the starter cranked the fan would turn but then turn back the opposite way before stopping. It was not doing that when I got the engine to start 2 weeks earlier. The fan would turn and then just come to a stop that time.
Ivan

1968 F100 2wd
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

Forward then back sounds like High Compression and weak starter or something in one cylinder.

I had a street 428 that was internally not externally balanced. It had 13.3 to one static compression and it broke a standard FE starter with aluminum nose. I put a 427 nodular Iron starter on the car and it would do that same bounce if I turned the ignition circuit off. ( Did that so I could cold crank the engine for oiling before start up.)

I am only telling you this to give you an idea about the different reasons for your problems. If you crank the starter for too long you can burn windings up. They short out inside the starter and instead of burning up the starter gets weak.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test