Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

08strokin

Re: Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post by 08strokin »

Man you have some great skills, i always look forward to the updates on this build. Keep up the good work! :thup:
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

FOWLER wrote:Nice progress!
Is Jeff the guy sitting on the cowl?
:-D
Funny story about that guy....I found him in the truck when I bought it. He has been through it all with me on this build and I feel he deserves some credit for the long hours in the shop as well =), he is always there for me, early hours, late in the day when ever I go out to the shop. I guess his name is Jeff now.
08strokin wrote:Man you have some great skills, i always look forward to the updates on this build. Keep up the good work! :thup:
Thank you. I enjoy the updates too...it means I am actually doing something :wink:

Appreciate you guys chiming in too....it keeps my motivation up.

Sean
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Finally a little fun bolting stuff together :thup:

Pulled everything off the firewall for the most part and got to scrubbing. LIttle KONE cleaner and a few scrub brushes and the old girl cleaned up. Keep in mind, I am keeping this thing kind of a beater on the outside. So....the firewall for some cleaning and a satin clear coat before I bolted the master cylinder and proportioning valve to it. I like it :D

You can also see the rebuilt steering column, new firewall gasket and refreshed metal and hardware on the truck.

Quick pic of the 3 on the tree column that I converted to a no shift manual column. It is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but I think it will be just fine in this application.

That is some Krylon paint. It is almost a dead match for the original paint.

Mocking up the steering shaft.

So this was the factory mustang steering shaft, it was just a couple inches too short soit got a cut and sleeve on the easy spot. Picked up the toobing for this last week so it was just a cut, measure mark,square it up and weld it.

The shaft was silver from the factory so I just cleaned it really well turning it and hitting it with the wire wheel and shot it with some gloss clear. I think it turned out very factory looking.

Welded, cleared and ready to go in.

Happy with this.....and the truck steers again.

Brake lines should be here tomorrow. Probably either start those or flip it around and see how that big engine lands in the engine bay... :roll:

Sean
SATURN5

Post by SATURN5 »

Same trick I did, but I used a F150 steering shaft, and I also converted the original steering column. :thup:
Bob
68 F100 Flareside, CVIFS, Cobra IRS, DOHC, M122, MS3, T45, 4.10, Cobra brakes
84 Mustang SVO, B234F, HE351, Full Cobra spec suspension and brakes including IRS, T-tops
96 Mark VIII, Complete chassis bracing, 03 Cobra wheels, Maruader converter, built trans.
michael9218

Post by michael9218 »

Looking at your work boxing in the frame, I have a couple questions.

What do you do about paint on the inside of the box sections? I was assuming that you would want paint on the frame to prevent future rust, but is the paint really more for cosmetics?

Did you do anything to strengthen the cross members? I was thinkng about whether one should weld the cross members to the frame rails. They appear to be riveted.

Mike
BossGB385

Post by BossGB385 »

:D I love this, it makes me as giddy as a school girl. I look forward to checking your updates every Monday at work. I want one now, a Coyote that is.

Got to ride in a California Special last week, I was clueless to how much power these things have. I gotta have one.
Please sir, carry on!! :thup:
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

I recently did the NICOP brake lines on my truck. First time I have made brake lines. So far no leaks but no fluid in them yet either :evil:

Easy to work with. I had picked up a flaring tool from HF...junk. Took it back and borrowed my Dad's 50 year old MAC tool. So much better. As always your project is looking great!

Barry
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

SATURN5 wrote:Same trick I did, but I used a F150 steering shaft, and I also converted the original steering column. :thup:
Its the little things like that that make building stuff easier =)
IN2FORD wrote:I recently did the NICOP brake lines on my truck. First time I have made brake lines. So far no leaks but no fluid in them yet either :evil:

Easy to work with. I had picked up a flaring tool from HF...junk. Took it back and borrowed my Dad's 50 year old MAC tool. So much better. As always your project is looking great!

Barry
I have a couple of flaring tools, had good luck with them on lots of builds now. First time trying the NiCopp. Heard about it on a couple of other builds and threads, and people are loving it.

Thanks for the compliments.
BossGB385 wrote::D I love this, it makes me as giddy as a school girl. I look forward to checking your updates every Monday at work. I want one now, a Coyote that is.

Got to ride in a California Special last week, I was clueless to how much power these things have. I gotta have one.
Please sir, carry on!! :thup:
Funny thing, I have never even ridden in anything with a coyote in it. Lots of old 5.0's though =) Glad I can keep you following along and entertaining your monday at work. Hope to keep the build coming along.

Well, I managed to finally build some cribbage and get the front tires off the totaled mustang. I got them on the truck and rolled the old girl out of the garage for the first time on its new legs. Looks good.

I got it turned around and stuffed back in the shop so I can try stuffing that big old girl in there for the first time.

Well, no photos, was too irritated.

Looks like I have a little bit of trimming to do on the crossmember under the cab and there is no way the stock crown vic mounts are going to work. Looks like I am going to have to build some mounts to clear the oil pan, steering, tranny and passenger header.

I exited the garage, need to order up some parts.

Sean
poke em

Post by poke em »

Wow, its coming along quickly! Your truck is looking awesome. I used Nicopp lines on my build, and it turned out great. I also saved a couple bucks on adapters by doing ghetto bubble flares with a flare tool i rented from Autozone and I have about 4000 miles with zero leaks.

This makes me want to build a second truck myself! Just need to get the first one finished...
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

Well, no photos, was too irritated.

Looks like I have a little bit of trimming to do on the crossmember under the cab and there is no way the stock crown vic mounts are going to work. Looks like I am going to have to build some mounts to clear the oil pan, steering, tranny and passenger header.

Sean[/quote]

Hey I might have good news for you over on the modular ford forum A guy is swapping one in and he swapped to the 4.6 oil pan just had to add two holes to the front of it. I started trimming that crossmember and was going to c notch it. Scrapped it and went with a tubular one I bent up. Passenger header clears if you move the engine over to drivers side and trim just a little of pass frame rail maybe a 1/4" at the most but my engine sits back 1.5" from stock
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

48prerunner wrote:Well, no photos, was too irritated.

Sean
Hey I might have good news for you over on the modular ford forum A guy is swapping one in and he swapped to the 4.6 oil pan just had to add two holes to the front of it. I started trimming that crossmember and was going to c notch it. Scrapped it and went with a tubular one I bent up. Passenger header clears if you move the engine over to drivers side and trim just a little of pass frame rail maybe a 1/4" at the most but my engine sits back 1.5" from stock[/quote]

Thanks for the reply man. I thought about it all night and came up with a pretty crude method to try when I got home from work today. I agreed with your measurements but wanted to try pushing it back another bit. I am 2" up, 2" back and 5/8" offset to the driver. Dropped in about perfect.

Its friggin tight but its in there. I have 1/2" clearance to the steering shaft and 1/2" to the passenger frame rail. ITs going to have to be good enough. Lots of clearance on the oil pan and bottom of the tranny with the crossmember notched.

Tranny needed to come up in these pics to level it out but its sitting in there on the motor mounts right now.

Stoked.
poke em wrote:Wow, its coming along quickly! Your truck is looking awesome. I used Nicopp lines on my build, and it turned out great. I also saved a couple bucks on adapters by doing ghetto bubble flares with a flare tool i rented from Autozone and I have about 4000 miles with zero leaks.

This makes me want to build a second truck myself! Just need to get the first one finished...
Thank you, several people have been super happy with those lines. You can never have too many projects right. =)

SATURN5

Post by SATURN5 »

I used CV mounts on mine with a 4.6 4v, but I made adapters to move the engine back 2 -r 3 inches and up 1 inch. (Basically 1x2 rec tube capped, braced and bolted up). However, it buggers the factory oil filter adapter, going to have to make or buy one of the adapter plates for remote filter.
Bob
68 F100 Flareside, CVIFS, Cobra IRS, DOHC, M122, MS3, T45, 4.10, Cobra brakes
84 Mustang SVO, B234F, HE351, Full Cobra spec suspension and brakes including IRS, T-tops
96 Mark VIII, Complete chassis bracing, 03 Cobra wheels, Maruader converter, built trans.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Well, made a little progress on the truck today. Been messing around with the transmission crossmember the last couple days. Got it tacked up this morning, mocked everything up again and got the tabs welded onto the frame. I really like this method of mounting crossmembers. It makes for super easy removal and install and is plenty stiff enough for anything this truck is going to see. Not alot of progress pics on this one sorry. Working solo on the truck all day putting this big bitch in and out several times takes its toll on me.

Trans mount painted and installed.

Also got the notch for the tranny cut out in the first crossmember and plated back in like it should be.

In its final resting point and somewhat bolted in.

I have a huge mess in the shop to clean up tomorrow.

Need to spend some $$$ this week too :o I need a replacement harness for the coyote, the stock one is jacked up from the wreck. Need to order a new oil pan...I got the stock one pulled off today and checked the pickup. Pickup is ok.

Need to order my fuel pump and settle on some wheels.

More to come Might try and get some brake lines bent up tomorrow.

Sean
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

So I spent most of the morning cleaning up the train wreck of a garage from the past couple of weeks. Was nice to be able to put all my tools away and see the workbench for a change....I got most of them back out when I started to work again.

Trying to tackle one thing at a time and stay focused with so many irons in the fire is really hard right now. Started to tackle the clutch pedal and master cylinder assembly. Saw a descent write up online similar to what I am doing and the guy had a great approach so I stole some of his plan.

Cut out hole in fire wall, drill some holes and get master mounted.

Good spot, should clear the inner fender by a touch and out of the way of that huge ass engine.

Because all clutch setups should be double shear right =) Welded up.

Cleaned up the pedal pad on both the clutch and brake pedals, painted and am reassembling them now with the new setup.

Hose and fittings should be here tomorrow so I can start making sure the plumbing side of things will work out ok.

Probably cut it short tonight after this is back together, might install some rear brake lines on the rearend. Got some braided stainless jobbies to go back there and some little brackets.

Sean
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

So my next project was to stiffen up that wimpy firewall where the hydro clutch master landed. Keep in mind trying to keep the firewall looking like it is now so cutting and welding was not an option.

I figure I could build a support plate to go on the inside of the firewall and this is what I came up with.

Keep in mind, I dont have a break so putting that little flange in there with just a hammer, dolly and bench vise is work. I know its not perfect but it will work. The flange makes the piece extremely stiff and stiffened up the firewall a ton.

Painted and installed. Pedals bolted down and master bolted to the wall for good I think.

Sean