Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post by 48prerunner »

Might want to think about hydroboost take a look in my thread not tons of clearance for a diaphragm booster and coil cover.
michael9218

Post by michael9218 »

Love your project! I've been lurking and scheming n dreaming for a couple months. I'd like to take on a restomod project on an old bumpside. I'm liking the idea of a Coyote motor with a manual trans, so am very interested in yours. I find it interesting that you didn't go with irs for a track oriented truck.

I do have a couple questions on the 3 bar link suspension:
Are you going to need to notch the bed for the center link?
The sway bar is an interesting design. I've never seen end links used to hold the bar to the frame. You don't feel that this will allow the sway bar to move?
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

michael9218 wrote:Love your project! I've been lurking and scheming n dreaming for a couple months. I'd like to take on a restomod project on an old bumpside. I'm liking the idea of a Coyote motor with a manual trans, so am very interested in yours. I find it interesting that you didn't go with irs for a track oriented truck.

I do have a couple questions on the 3 bar link suspension:
Are you going to need to notch the bed for the center link?
The sway bar is an interesting design. I've never seen end links used to hold the bar to the frame. You don't feel that this will allow the sway bar to move?
Hey Michael,

I am opinionated....I hate IRS. Not really sure why but I have never driven one that I really liked. Excessive wheel hop, overly complicated for the DIY guy to do properly and I like some good old solid axles.

Yes, Ill have a notch for the top link in the bed floor.

Sway bar is factory mustang end links. It is as per it was installed by the factory, just now under a 68 f100 =) I have cycled it and it really cannot go anywhere. Suspension cycles up and down just like it should, nice and free. Pick up on one side and its pretty stiff, even did it with no springs on the coil overs and you could definitely tell it was doing its job.

Sean
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

48prerunner wrote:Might want to think about hydroboost take a look in my thread not tons of clearance for a diaphragm booster and coil cover.
I decided to go manual brakes....Believe it or not I am not a fan of complicating things, I really do like them simple. A bunch of reading later I find that people actually have really good results with manual brakes.

So no stupid booster, no hydroboost just a nice clean dual reservoir master cylinder.

I sure hope that it works.

Messed around with the truck a few minutes tonight. Tore into the drivers side and got the double adjustable setup on the truck....its pretty awesome.

Also glad that I saved the take off brakes from the front of the white truck, I think they have maybe 300 miles on them so I put those on. They are like new so better.

Also discovered that the sway bar end links are junk and it needs swaybar bushings as well, might as well just order the Addco sway bar now right?

Bunch of stuff should be here tomorrow or Friday. Hope to make some good progress this weekend.

Sean
rco630

Post by rco630 »

You have an awesome build going on, I'm also working the CV swap and was wondering what shock set up you have for it?
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

rco630 wrote:You have an awesome build going on, I'm also working the CV swap and was wondering what shock set up you have for it?
Thanks man, I am running a setup from NAAKE. It is a QA1 double adjustable coilover setup. Lets me make moderate ride height adjustments and really dial in the handling of the truck..

Only managed a little over an hour or so to dink around the garage.

Managed to get the passenger side torn apart and got the coilover built and installed. The swaybar end links were totally hammered so I picked up a couple of those and got them installed on both sides tonight. There was one that I could not get off. I had to cut it off.

Also got a couple boxes from Summit and one from LMC truck :-jammin

I can get the steering column back together now and stab it back through the firewall when I am ready as well as get the master cylinder installed and the proportioning valve all setup. Should be a fun couple of days.

This is still a couple inches above ride height in the front as this front tire is massive compared to what I am planning on running in the truck. These are 255/55/19's. Ill likely be running a 295/40/18.

Looks good this height though doesnt it =)

golfmiser

Post by golfmiser »

Hello again their Mr. Hackster. I am still keeping up with your progress religiously. I think I am almost addicted. I read many builds on these trucks and I enjoy them all. I read your build on the other one you did and was impressed again the work and patience. I do have a question on the front cv swap. Looking at the up close photo's, did you replace the bushings in the a arms? All those and the joints look like new.
Hey keep up the good work and tell your better half I think she's ready to move up the ladder on her part of the build. Any body that can make that nice of a dimple in metal doesn't need to be held back. LOL
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

golfmiser wrote:Hello again their Mr. Hackster. I am still keeping up with your progress religiously. I think I am almost addicted. I read many builds on these trucks and I enjoy them all. I read your build on the other one you did and was impressed again the work and patience. I do have a question on the front cv swap. Looking at the up close photo's, did you replace the bushings in the a arms? All those and the joints look like new.
Hey keep up the good work and tell your better half I think she's ready to move up the ladder on her part of the build. Any body that can make that nice of a dimple in metal doesn't need to be held back. LOL
Thanks for the compliments.....patience is not something that I have though :D

I did not replace the bushings in the control arms, they were in pretty good shape. I did spend some time cleaning them up though and wore wheeled the upper control arms and shot a coat of paint on them to freshen things up. Also replaced the sway bar end links with new ones. I really wish the frontend was cleaner than it is but I have to draw the line somewhere and realize its going to get dirty sometime :x

She does help with some stuff around the truck but enjoys using this stuff more than working on it. I am definitely the other way around.

Sean
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

So are you thinking a 9" wheel in the front on a 295?

Barry
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

I am hoping for a 9.5 or 10" wheel on the front but I dont have as much room as I thought I had with the sway bar in there. I have a fair bit of room in the wheel well with the 19x8.5 wheel with a 255/50/19 tire on there and its frigging huge.

Little bit of mockup to see how it sits with the coilovers on it and measure out some tire and wheel clearances.

Super happy with the tire in the wheelwell (Wheelbase) location

Tire is about to hit the fender.

Inner clearance with the monster truck tires and stock mustang wheels.....I will be running a significantly smaller diameter tire than this.

And then this happened today. I guess it was just a matter of time. Have one framerail cleaned up on the outside so far, need to get back out and start mocking up the boxing plates and transmission mount. Keep in mind, no lift, no fancy stuff in this garage =) Oh yeah, it is monsooning today here. Supposed to get between 2 and 3 inches of rain in 24 hours.

hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Ok, trying to keep some motivation going but after moving a friend this morning, cleaning out all the gutters and keeping an eye on things in the house I am exhausted.

There was little rivers going down my street earlier today...

So my process for getting off the god awful but extremely effective undercoating is this.

Chisel off as much as I can in the areas that I can get to with a chisel, then get out the grinder with two different wire wheels.

A cone style for the inner parts and hard to reach areas and a flat wheel for the bigger open areas. I have it down pretty good. This area was particularly thick and difficult to get the undercoating off of. Keep in mind, I have to do top and bottom, inside and outside of the frame and all crossmembers.

This is from the inside of one of the framerails...

My hands are exhausted after hours of chiseling and grinding. Managed to get one template made.

End results though are excellent. Nice clean framerails. Undercoating did its job for sure.

Hope to get the boxing of the frame done tomorrow and get the cab back on the frame. Need to start on the brakes and get the steering dialed in so I can drop in the motor and tranny.

Sean
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Your making great progress!! So then an 18x9 with a 255/40 or even a 275 maybe??

Barry
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

IN2FORD wrote:Your making great progress!! So then an 18x9 with a 255/40 or even a 275 maybe??

Barry
Thanks Barry,

I refuse to run anything smaller than a 275 on the front... Still going to try for a 9.5 and a 275 or bigger. Might need to do a little work on the lip on the front fender. I planned that all along though.

Sean
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

With an extra hour of daylight, I got out in the shop early and got right to it. More templates, more boxing plates, more dimple dies and one messed up drill press. :thup:

Panels built, now get the welder out..

Getting the weld on.

Clean up the welding mess, go over the frame with the wire wheel wipe it down and paint it.

Not in these photos are cleaning up all of the body mount bolts, washers and bushings. Believe it or not the bushings were in like new condition, so they went back in. I also gave the underside of the cab a quick clean up and a shot of satin black so it looks a little more presentable from the bottom... I have issues I know.

With that said it was time to go back on with the cab. You can get an idea of my process with this photo. Then it got jacked up to the 4x4's and out with the jack stands, then under the pinch welds and pull out the 4x4's. It was pain in the rear but it actually worked really well. My buddy Jeff came over and lent me a hand.

Back on the ground like nothing ever happened =)

Should be able to stab in the steering column as its all back assembled and rebuilt as well. Master cylinder is here and should be able to get to work on building brake and clutch master stuff this week if time allows. I need to work less and build cars more.

Sean
FOWLER

Post by FOWLER »

Nice progress!
Is Jeff the guy sitting on the cowl?
:-D