Radio Capacitor? need radio help!

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

alvald83

Radio Capacitor? need radio help!

Post by alvald83 »

I am trying to work on this radio noise, which doesn't seem to be engine related, but i am still trying to replace the correct condensor. The problem is there are two and i don't know which one is the correct one to replace. I need some help.

1. The condensor on the coil on the coil is for what? How should it be connected?
2. The condensor at the voltage regulator does not have a # or description. I accidently broke it off at the in-line connector.

I have checked the antennae, adjusted the screw under the tuner knob, and still have this whistling noise that doesn't change with the engine rpm's. any ideas? It makes the same noise with the engine not running. Thanks Al
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Radio Capacitor? need radio help!

Post by fordman »

the one at the regulator is suppose to be for radio noise reduction. i forget about the coil condensor. there may be some info in the diagrams about them.
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Radio Capacitor? need radio help!

Post by NM5K »

If it's doing it with the engine not running, sounds like you have a flaky radio.
The condensers are to cut alternator whine, and resistive plug wires to cut ignition
noise. Being as yours does it with the engine off, those are likely not the problem.
Make sure the power wiring and connections to the radio are good. A voltage drop under
load can cause problems like that in some cases. Make sure the ground connection is
good.
If the power to the radio is good, you probably have a flaky radio.
Which you could pull and bench test to get a better idea..
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip