Well, theres no turning back now. Dail up beware

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Well, theres no turning back now. Dail up beware

Post by Caseys71 »

:thup:, Nice progress, And as said before that cab looks great, if you think it's bad you should see mine :lol: :P. Nice score on the parts truck too, $450 is a crazy good deal for a truck in that good of shape 8). Good luck with the rest of your rebuild.
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's
71fordkid
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 71fordkid »

Heres some more pictures from today. Scraped off most of the grease and road crud off the frame. Gotta get a couple of wire wheels, some primer, and some more gloss black paint tomorrow and paint the frame.

Ex Ford diesel dealership senior master tech (6 years)
Current bmw level 4 tech.
1972 Ford F100 Stepside - 302, forged TRW flat tops, performer 289 intake, edelbrock 600 cfm carb, CV IFS swap, 4.10 LSD disc 8.8 , AOD 4 speed auto. Currently 5 years in the making.
FLATBEDFORD
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by FLATBEDFORD »

AlleyCat wrote:Neat vid. :thup: Around here your old cab would be considered very repairable. If the roof isn't rusted you might consider cutting it off to sell.
That's what I was thinking. You are trashing some pretty good stuff, for the Northeast that is. :doh:
Steve

1970 F350 DRW Factory 9' Platform/Stake, 360, T18.
Passed on to new care taker July, 2013

My Photo Gallery
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/flatbedford/
OldRedFord
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by OldRedFord »

What did you do to the bed?
Tim

1972 F350 flatbed drw c6/390
1967 F600 project truck
71fordkid
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 71fordkid »

Well we had a little bit of wind, and the hood for the new truck that was totally straight and rust fell over. i'm gonna try to fix it, but the dents pretty deep.

heres the latest with the truck. i got the frame painted...

filled in the trim holes from where it said "ranger" and re did the body seam filling the P.O. did.

i also filled the holes in the tool box door.

and out with the 302, in with the 390.
1972 Ford F100 Stepside - 302, forged TRW flat tops, performer 289 intake, edelbrock 600 cfm carb, CV IFS swap, 4.10 LSD disc 8.8 , AOD 4 speed auto. Currently 5 years in the making.
Happy_Camper
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Happy_Camper »

You're making great progress :thup:
Sorry to hear about the hood, but I'm sure you'll get it straightened out.
I'm looking forward to watching it go together. Should be fun!
Scott
1972 F250 Explorer C/S, 390-2V, Dual exhaust, C6, Goose neck ball in bed
New and improved with Tilt Wheel, Intermittent Wipers, 2005 Bench seat and 5th wheel camper!...
Life is *very* good!
71fordkid
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 71fordkid »

Progress indeed. I'm only working on it on weekends to try to keep from burning myself out. I'm hoping to have it done sometime in july. A few shakedown runs, then off to an all ford show/race that a ford dealer here puts on in august. And after that, a 2000+ car carshow in long beach, WA!!
71fordkid
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 71fordkid »

Well guys, i have good news and some bad news. :help:

The good news first!
Bodywork is going awesome, got the ranger emblem holes on the bed welded up nice and smooth, and a little bondo to cover the oops spots. the trim holes on the toolbox door are welded and bondo'd up. the dent on the passenger side of the cowel just got a coat of bondo and will soon be smooth as a baby's bottom. :thup: 8)

the bad news. :cry:

I have found some very bad rust in my "rust free" cab. the PO put a visor on the truck and didnt realize that when you drill holes in sheet metal, you can seldom get it to seal again. the water pooled right above the windshield and guess what! it has a rust hole covered by bondo :nono: that i can put my hand through on one side, and about a dozen quarter to half dollar sized holes.

Im trying to figure out how to fix this.

1. cut off the inside panel, weld in the one from my old cab.
2. cut off the front section of the roof and replace with the section of roof from my old cab.
3. ???????

I also wanted to take the dash pad out and smooth out the dash, and now that i have to take the windshield . I was looking in a boat parts catalog and found some round and rectangle 2 way (think: blows air two directions) vents. Weld up the radio speaker hole, and change the vents. i think it will look bad ass. I have some other tricks up my sleeves to make this more of a "custom" truck. 8)

I'm also selling my jeep and possibly buying a 5.0 mustang :maybe: . i need something thats more friendly to be my daily driver since work is 20 miles round trip and school is 40 miles round trip.
71fordkid
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 71fordkid »

Well, i did some more diggin in the cab today.... there was rope put in above the windshield between it and the rain gutter. i took the rope out, and its rusted through all the way across. i can stick my fingers to the inside of the cab. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

looks like i get to try to measure and cut out the section from my old cab and weld it in.
69rangerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69rangerf100 »

i feel your pain on that when i bought my cab i was told that it was rust free but to my suprise the floors are swiss cheese holes, and rust in the door jams by the kick panels
David

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today - James Dean

Daily Driver - 1998 Honda Accord
Wife's Ride - 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Project - My Dad's 1969 F100 Ranger 390 w/ 3spd manual coming soon PS, PB, A/C and alot of paint and body work - Miss you Dad
http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad208/69rangerf100/
FLATBEDFORD
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by FLATBEDFORD »

How do you feel about dropping that old one on the ground now?
Steve

1970 F350 DRW Factory 9' Platform/Stake, 360, T18.
Passed on to new care taker July, 2013

My Photo Gallery
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/flatbedford/
twentyocho

Post by twentyocho »

good luck, but you sure are getting along with it. Cant wait to see it done. Oh, and love the hub caps.
71 F100 SW 302 C4
71fordkid
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 71fordkid »

eh, the old cab was trash anyways. i did cut the roof off and put it in a safe place. the top of the cab didnt bend at all. the bottom of the new cab is perfect. no rust at all. but its just that one place that theres a ton of rust. looks like i get to do some "panel replacement" :help: .

Ive also decided i didnt like how the bed came out, so im going to strip all the paint and bondo out and weld the seams.
71fordkid
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 71fordkid »

Well, heres some progress. The top to the parts truck cab was cut off today. i saved the roof from the old cab, just incase something like this happened. i have some grinding and fitting to do before it all fits right, but i think i can make it look good. the biggest cap i have is about 1/2'' wide though.

I'm gonna get some 5/16 or 1/4'' rod and weld it into the seam for a "filler" so i dont have to try to weld the whole seam in with my flux core mig welder. that would take too much wire and too much time.

I also got a set of rocker arms, pushrods and valve covers for the 390. going for a factory look. factory 4bbl intake, valve covers, and air cleaner with 2 air horns instead of one. the air horns will be routed with flex tube down to the grill, with the tube ending by the turn signals.the motors going ford blue.