Asbestos - Concern

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

socalcraigster

Asbestos - Concern

Post by socalcraigster »

I was pulling up the old, probably original, carpet and there is this thick backing that I thought may contain asbestos? :hmm:

Also, on the floorpans there is this thick material that is stuck to it.

Is this something I should worry about? :cry:

Also, the same material was above the headliner.

Please calm me down.
1967 Flareside Shortbed Crew
1969 390 Ranger Long Bed

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Asbestos - Concern

Post by robroy »

Good evening SoCalCraigster,

I'm not sure whether any of those materials contain asbestos or not, yet as you probably know, asbestos is only abundantly hazardous if you're breathing in the dust that's generated by breaking the pieces up. That's my understanding at least!

Have you been breaking (a lot of) this stuff up and breathing dusty air in the process?

I'll be curious to hear what more knowledgeable members have to say about this.

I hope you're completely uninjured SoCalCraigster!
Robroy
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the headliner and carpet stuff is called jute. it is a old carpet backing material insulation and partial sound deadner. it doesnt have any thing like that in it. asbestos is a material used in wrapping old heating pipes in houses and businesses years ago. it was also used in other thigns but not our trucks. the black stuff is just tar paper to help stop rust from forming and heat redirection and maybe some sort of sound deading.
socalcraigster

Post by socalcraigster »

Oh, now I can go back to breathing! :yip:
1967 Flareside Shortbed Crew
1969 390 Ranger Long Bed

Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

Both Robroy and Fordman are correct! Also another thing that may interest you as far as your Asbestos concern goes is that when you go through your brakes you may want to wipe the inside of the drums off with brake cleaner as well as the braking assembly just to be safe as many brake shoes of the past contain asbestos. Other than that I'm pretty sure it wasn't used anywhere on our trucks, and you probably don't have to worry about it with the brakes either as the shoes have probably been changed recently enough that they don't contain asbestos. But like Fordman said it was mainly used for other things like siding on old houses, and in ceiling tiles in older buildings and in older walls, which you shouldn't be concerned with unless you live in a house built prior to the '50s that you are remodeling :thup:. Only reason I know a single thing about it is because my father's a contractor and his main concern when renovating an older structure is whether or not it contains asbestos.
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's
george worley
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by george worley »

Floor tile 12"x12" and 9"x9" that is found in homes,offices,super markets,etc. contain asbestos if it was made before 1980.
marxtoys

Post by marxtoys »

There's plenty of asbestos in the undercoating.... also a lot of gaskets like heads and intakes.

"Knowledge is Good." Emil Faber