No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Used SeaFoam but NO white smoke

Post by BobbyFord »

Redcap wrote:
BobbyFord wrote:OK, here's my take on snake oil additives such as seafoam, oil stabilizers, Prolong, Slick 50 and other miracle-in-a-botlle cures.

If there actually were a product that when added to the oil, would extend the life of an internal combustion engine then the it would already be a component in motor oil.
Like SecondCamperSpecial said, plain old water down the carb is all that is necessary to de-carbon an engine (and was actually recommended by Jeep/Chrysler to cure carbon knock in 4.2l inline sixes.)
During my Ford and GM FWD auto trans training we were told to stay away from and to NEVER add ANYTHING but transmission fluid to an auto trans.
I was a light/heavy line tech for Ford and am factory trained, I'm also Jeep/Chrysler trained, have taken courses at Tech colleges including Peugeot manual transmissions as well as other courses put on by tool and equipment suppliers. At no time during my tech training were we ever instructed to use an additive of any kind to cure a mechanical issue. We were taught to use tools to repair engines and transmissions.
I guess if you are looking for a cure to a mechanical problem and believe that you will find one in a bottle on a shelf at your local Autozone then it just may work for you. JMO.
Who said anything about it curing a mechanical issue? It does a great job of de-funking the inside of your engine, which isn't so critical on a FE, but can work wonders on little Jap rigs like Subarus (which start making all sorts of interesting noises once they get up there in mileage) and this stuff cleans them out when added to the oil. Yeah, Seafoam doesn't do all the crap it says on the can...but it does have an application. You have some training. Great. No one asked or probably cares. And who was talking about auto transmissions besides you?
Feel free to waste your money on stuff that don't work. None of my motors need "de-funking".
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

BobbyFord wrote:
Redcap wrote:
BobbyFord wrote:OK, here's my take on snake oil additives such as seafoam, oil stabilizers, Prolong, Slick 50 and other miracle-in-a-botlle cures.

If there actually were a product that when added to the oil, would extend the life of an internal combustion engine then the it would already be a component in motor oil.
Like SecondCamperSpecial said, plain old water down the carb is all that is necessary to de-carbon an engine (and was actually recommended by Jeep/Chrysler to cure carbon knock in 4.2l inline sixes.)
During my Ford and GM FWD auto trans training we were told to stay away from and to NEVER add ANYTHING but transmission fluid to an auto trans.
I was a light/heavy line tech for Ford and am factory trained, I'm also Jeep/Chrysler trained, have taken courses at Tech colleges including Peugeot manual transmissions as well as other courses put on by tool and equipment suppliers. At no time during my tech training were we ever instructed to use an additive of any kind to cure a mechanical issue. We were taught to use tools to repair engines and transmissions.
I guess if you are looking for a cure to a mechanical problem and believe that you will find one in a bottle on a shelf at your local Autozone then it just may work for you. JMO.
Who said anything about it curing a mechanical issue? It does a great job of de-funking the inside of your engine, which isn't so critical on a FE, but can work wonders on little Jap rigs like Subarus (which start making all sorts of interesting noises once they get up there in mileage) and this stuff cleans them out when added to the oil. Yeah, Seafoam doesn't do all the crap it says on the can...but it does have an application. You have some training. Great. No one asked or probably cares. And who was talking about auto transmissions besides you?
Feel free to waste your money on stuff that don't work. None of my motors need "de-funking".

Glad to see you have more money than brains.

I don't.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Uh huh. I have more money than you because I don't waste mine on snake oil.
socalcraigster

Post by socalcraigster »

How much is this snake oil and where can I get it? :wink:
1967 Flareside Shortbed Crew
1969 390 Ranger Long Bed

Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

socalcraigster wrote:How much is this snake oil and where can I get it? :wink:
I get my snake oil at the local CarQuest affiliate. About $7/pint.
gregamorton
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by gregamorton »

hey bobbyford I have used it many times and it workd well on high mileage motors. I used some on a 89 toyota and did the half through vacuum line and poured the other half down the throttle body untill it died. Started up truck about 15 minutes later and smoke poured out. After a few days of small amounts of smoke it cleared up and ran great. I think it was cleaning up the pistons and cats. I also use seafoam on my ford engines every so often. I had a older guy tell me to use a mister and spray water down the carb when engine was hot and that would clean all the carbon up. I tore down a 302 one time after doing the water spray and engine was pretty clean. I dont know if it was the water or was already clean? :?
1967 mercury F350 7.3 IDI ats turbo kit c6 gear vendor overdrive 3.73s rolling on 19.5s
1971 sport custom on 1979 f350 highboy frame 460 c6 np205 dana 60s 3.54s
1974 F100 baby blue & rust 240 3 speed 3.70s sitting on the ground!
1990 F250 extended cab FI460 e40d 3.55s daily driver
Possibly looking for my next bump right now!
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Redcap wrote:
socalcraigster wrote:How much is this snake oil and where can I get it? :wink:
I get my snake oil at the local CarQuest affiliate. About $7/pint.
People will use what they believe in.
Redcap, I apologize, because it seemed that I was busting your chops, I really wasn't.
Whatever works for you; keep using.
No hard feelings toward anyone :D
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

gregamorton wrote:hey bobbyford I have used it many times and it workd well on high mileage motors. I used some on a 89 toyota and did the half through vacuum line and poured the other half down the throttle body untill it died. Started up truck about 15 minutes later and smoke poured out. After a few days of small amounts of smoke it cleared up and ran great. I think it was cleaning up the pistons and cats. I also use seafoam on my ford engines every so often. I had a older guy tell me to use a mister and spray water down the carb when engine was hot and that would clean all the carbon up. I tore down a 302 one time after doing the water spray and engine was pretty clean. I dont know if it was the water or was already clean? :?
The water mist turns to steam and the steam knocks the carbon loose. :)
Clay

72 F100 4x2 Custom,289, C4 " Slow Ride "
70 F250 4x2 Ranger XLT , 360, C6 "B52 - IV"
96 F150 4x2 XL, 300, E4OD, daily driver

" Professional Wrecker Operators - We Pull for America "