Price estimate?

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

04stangman

Price estimate?

Post by 04stangman »

I just took my 69 F250 in for some brake issues.... My rear brakes pretty much froze. What would you guys estimate all these repairs for a shop to do them...

Rear brakes are Drum,
New new cylinders
Wheel seals
axle seal
rear spring kit
pads
misc..

Front disk
Pads
new rotors?

Plus labor?

I got quoted $700.00....... OUCH!
Doug Comer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Price estimate?

Post by Doug Comer »

:hmm: Sounds fair. Alot of money but fair in my opinion.
Doug
1967 f100 4x4
1970 f250 4x4
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

sounds like a fair price. i do all my mechanic work myself because the labor prices come from a book/computer. The last thing i had worked on was a 06 f250 diesel because the engine light was on, dealership called and said the EGR was bad and wanted $580 to replace it, i said no thank you how much is the EGR valve. it was $180 so bought one and went home and replaced the old one in 20 minutes. dealer said 4 hours to replace it and i needed a special tool. i have a stocked toolbox and dont think i have any special tools in it. If its the black/white truck the front disc might have been added by someone to the truck. you might want to resurch a little before having someone work on your truck because if things have been added and they have to find out what been changed they may charge you for the extra time of finding the right parts needed for your truck.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

About 2/3 more than it would cost if you did it yourself.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good afternoon 04StangMan,

I think $700 is a good price for those parts and that work. And if you know the mechanic and have confidence that they do only premium quality work, it's a bargain.

So far in my life I've hired only six or seven mechanics, and only one of them did what I'd consider premium quality work. They were never in a hurry, and seemed to care about my vehicles like they were their own! Everything always looked so clean when they got done with it.

Incidentally, they were also the least expensive of the six or seven I've tried. They're two classic old men named Dennis and Don at Park Automotive Services in Palo Alto, California; it's a two-man shop.

Robroy
04stangman

Post by 04stangman »

Thanks guys... I dont have the tools or the know how for all that break stuff. Too bad the labor has to cost so much.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

They really aren't that bad, jackstands and patience goes a long ways. Put both sides up and pull the drums off, then take and repair one side at a time.

Personally I'd shop around some more and even price the parts you need. I'd also spray the bejesus out of all the hardware and brake line fittings a week or two before taking it in with some PB blaster or JB-80.

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
VonsF100

Post by VonsF100 »

$700 seems about right, if a shop does it. I've never seen any, and I mean ANY brake job go for less than $580 on any vehicle. And that's even when parts totaled less than $100 bucks. My 85 f150 2wd got a brake job form bumper to bumper. Shop qouted me over $1200 to do it. ( that's everything from master cyl & booster, steel lines, portioner valves, rubber lines, shoes, pads, drums, rotors, wheel cyl...etc)

My cost in parts, over the counter and out the door: about $300....if it was even that much. Took me about 5 hours on a weekend to replace every peice in the brake system. Front to back. The kicker? once I got all that done I only put about a 100 miles on the truck and the trans died. It's sat since late '03 till now. Even swapped the trans around 4 years ago...still no milage on the thing.

So...now a lot of the parts in the '85 are gunna get new life in my '69 I picked up last week (the 69 has new brakes too..prev owner said they ran him about $400 and he hadn't done the master cyl yet...so that will be gettin swapped with mine from the '85)