a general question about rebuilding transmissions

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

a general question about rebuilding transmissions

Post by thebannister8 »

i have an 89 gmc with a th400 in it...i also have a 67 mustang with a c4 in it...i want both rebuilt...without patting myself on the back to much i am very mechanically inclined...i'v built many a motor and have always worked on my own cars and trucks...transmissions are a mystery to me having never been into one before...my gmc manual states that a shop should do it because there are fine measurments and spacers...i have and can use inside and outside micrometers and feeler guages...i really want to do them for fun and i'm wondering if special tools are needed ( as they are on differentials )...i'm also wondering if they are as scary as alot of people think they are...thanks
Last edited by thebannister8 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMadScientist

Re: a general question about rebuilding transmissions

Post by TheMadScientist »

Here's some books to pick up that can be helpful.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... haynes+tra

To me autos are easy, But if you take your time and keep everything in order there not to bad.

Here's another good place where I like to get my tech manuals
http://www.txchange.com/atsg.htm
2006 F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X4 6.0l Diesel Tow Rig
2005 Excursion Limited 4X4 6.0l Tow Rig
1977 F-350 Crew Cab SWB (4x4 soon)
1972 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 SWB Cummins 12V, NV4500, NP205, HP60,D70B, on 35's
1966 F-250 Crew Cab (4x4 soon)
1965 F-100 SWB 351C 4v
1956 F-100 2wd SWB 429
1972 Bronco Explorer Sport
1969 Mustang Fastback (tubbed and caged, soon to get a 429)
1967 Mustang Fastback 427W, C6
1965 Mustang Fastback 347 FI HO, T5
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

themadscientist...thanks for the info...do you know if there are any special tools needed
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

You don't need any special tools for the C4 or th400. TH400 is really easy. I would recommend a snapress or building a tool to use in a press to do the same thing though. Guys who do them without a snapress are nuts in my book.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
hdpusher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdpusher »

400 turbos are not that scary to rebuild. Get a good manual and when tearing it down try to set the parts out in order on an uncluttered work bench.

You’ll need a few special tools but noting major. A puller for the front pump also spring compressors for removing different snap rings. My spring compressors are all hand made from bent metal, exhaust clams, allthreat, nuts, bolts and stuff. (Get the idea). They do make several spring removal tools now that are pretty cool. Oh yea get some Vaseline for lubing up seals before assembly.

Good luck.
67 Chevy II 302 sbc
67 Ford F350 Motor home
68 Ford F100 long bed (Sold :cry: )
78 CJ5
03 Dodge Cummins
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

thanks for the replies...it sounds very do-able...i appreciate everyones responses :)
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i have rebuilt or helped rebuild a few buick dyna flows a c4 and a c6 as well as a 727. anyway all of them went good. they were very easy. keeping stuff in order and so forth wasnt hard. the only problems we had was the valve bodies. when we took them apart to clean them up the ball always fell out. and we couldnt tell exactly where they went. so it was buy a used one or dont take them apart at all. the only transmission that i was unable to get workign after doing just a clutch pack replacement. was the C4. i have heard since then that those are the hardest to get right when you are done. i do have a cd on how to rebuild the e4od transmissions but i havent doen any of them yet. i heard that there are holes that have to be enlarger. althought the cd says nothing about that. i thas something to do with the fluid flow. that is all i know about those. as far as that spring press my dad built one for use by hand. its just a lever on a little block with two clamps on either side that go down into the drums to compress the drum spring so you can get the snap rings out of the drums.
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

thanks for the info fordman...i looked online for a snapress and saw one for 65.00...i've fashioned a number of tools before...i'll probably play it by ear and try to make a press of some sort...kinda adds to the fun for me...i was suprised at how reasonable rebuild kits are priced and also master rebuild kits
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

here are similar items that do the job of what dad built. http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw= ... compressor
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

those are all cool tools...i can picture hdpushers tool in these