Funny conversation at the hardware store...

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Funny conversation at the hardware store...

Post by dustman_stx »

Rolled up in the 71 and a kid there asked me about my truck. Told him what it was and he proceeded to inform me that he had a 73. I asked him if it had a 390, and he informed me that it had a "360 block with ported and polished 390 heads". Started to educate the poor kid, but didn't have time. Just let him walk and think he really had something going on with those "390" heads.
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Funny conversation at the hardware store...

Post by Redcap »

He'll learn soon enough.
ka_jd7and1

Post by ka_jd7and1 »

Were they heads that he pulled off a 390?
03 Chevy S10 - the daily driver
68 Ford F100 longbed - the tow pig / TLC project
78 Chevy Impala - the race car

I'm sorry if I ask lots of questions, there's just a lot of stuff I don't know (yet).
dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dustman_stx »

ka_jd7and1 wrote:Were they heads that he pulled off a 390?
Not sure. But it wouldn't make any difference if they had come off a 390. Nearly all 390 and 360 heads are going to be identical. He is assuming, as I did back in the day, that there is some sort of major difference in the heads of the 360 and 390, which there is not. There are others that can answer more definitively, but I don't think there will be much flow difference in ANY head used on a 390. Some will have 14 bolt exhaust patterns, some will have smaller combustion chambers, but no real significance when used on a 360.
cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cdeal28078 »

But if he did pull them off a 390 he DID have ported and polished 390 heads. lol Might not mean a hill of beans though. lol
I like it when people ask what year my truck is and I tell them it's a 71 They then proceed to tell me about the 73-79 they had that was just like it, body and all. lol
These truck are starting to get some attention. When I 1st painted my truck 8 or so years ago and got it back on the road I had several people pull up at a light or a store asking me all about it.
clint
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD
ka_jd7and1

Post by ka_jd7and1 »

dustman_stx wrote:
ka_jd7and1 wrote:Were they heads that he pulled off a 390?
Not sure. But it wouldn't make any difference if they had come off a 390. Nearly all 390 and 360 heads are going to be identical. He is assuming, as I did back in the day, that there is some sort of major difference in the heads of the 360 and 390, which there is not. There are others that can answer more definitively, but I don't think there will be much flow difference in ANY head used on a 390. Some will have 14 bolt exhaust patterns, some will have smaller combustion chambers, but no real significance when used on a 360.
You and I know that. :thup: cdeal stated more clearly the point I was trying to make.
03 Chevy S10 - the daily driver
68 Ford F100 longbed - the tow pig / TLC project
78 Chevy Impala - the race car

I'm sorry if I ask lots of questions, there's just a lot of stuff I don't know (yet).
brandon.k
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by brandon.k »

I ran into a guy here in town Sunday that was asking lots of questions about mine. Said he is building a 70 F-100 with a 460 in it. Cant wait to see it. I told him about the site but neither one of us had anything to write with. Maybe he'll show up on here.
ImageImage
HayHauler

Post by HayHauler »

cdeal28078 wrote:But if he did pull them off a 390 he DID have ported and polished 390 heads. lol Might not mean a hill of beans though. lol
I like it when people ask what year my truck is and I tell them it's a 71 They then proceed to tell me about the 73-79 they had that was just like it, body and all. lol
These truck are starting to get some attention. When I 1st painted my truck 8 or so years ago and got it back on the road I had several people pull up at a light or a store asking me all about it.
clint
its funny how everybody seems to think they know exactly what year your truck is, but 90% of the time they are way off. and then they always used to know somebody that had one or they claim to have had one. :lol: :lol:
No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking. -- Voltaire
James72
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by James72 »

:yt: Everyone has had one, it's like owning a Cobra, everyone has had one of those to, but theirs was an "original" Shelby Cobra :lol:
'05 Mustang GT
'72 crew 4x4
'07 KTM 450 xcw
2006 F350 CC Diesel 4x4 Lariat
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

James72 wrote:it's like owning a Cobra, everyone has had one of those to, but theirs was an "original" Shelby Cobra
or every small block chevie that has "corvette" heads. :roll:
hdpusher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdpusher »

There is a kid at the local lumber yard who loves my truck. Every time I come in he wants to be the one to load my truck. He always has a 100 questions and just as many stories. He is a likeable kid so I’m nice to him and try to help him out but wow does he tell some whoppers. :doh:
Like the tunnel ram his buddy has on a stock 305 Olds Cutlass that they cant get to idle but "boy does it run wide open" “Cant grab the dash when it takes off” :zz:
I’ve been thinking of giving him one of my old parts truck so he would have something real to work on. :hmm:
67 Chevy II 302 sbc
67 Ford F350 Motor home
68 Ford F100 long bed (Sold :cry: )
78 CJ5
03 Dodge Cummins
GreyStep

Post by GreyStep »

Well I call my Aunt the other morning to give her a heads up that I was bringing my truck due to the noisy read end.
ent something like this...

GS: Hey Auntie, just want you to know I am waiting for AAA and I'll call when they get here.
Aunt: So what vehicle are you bringing
GS: The GreyStep
Aunt: Okay you're bringin that "hermaphrodite" truck...

My family is nuts!

(for those that haven't noticed my truck has a late '60s chevy bed)

Jun - GreyStep
If only more people were "BUILT FORD TOUGH"...
brandon.k
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by brandon.k »

:lol: I didnt. I was looking at the Duc in the back. :lol:
ImageImage
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

i went to the grocery store yesterday and i was wearing a shirt that had 3 mustang with boss accross the top well this kid tell me he likes the shirt and hes got a 67 shelby, He goes on talking about hes dosent have a licence yet but hes got a freind that loaning him a $12,000 351 stroker for it and bla bla bla. i asked him if it was a GT 350 or 500, He said he thought it came with a 350 :lol: so i asked him if it had a roll bar in it, he said he was taking it to have one put in. A 5 point. I only went to the store to get some bread and kind of in a hurry so after listning as long as i could i had to do it, I bet him $10 to a hundred that he didnt have a shelby, :hmm: I think its a shelby :hmm: but im not sure.
GreyStep

Post by GreyStep »

brandon.k wrote::lol: I didnt. I was looking at the Duc in the back. :lol:
LOL yeah I get a lot of strange looks when I have the bikes in the truck.
I think the ratty truck and the exotic bikes is a lil confusing for folks.

GS
If only more people were "BUILT FORD TOUGH"...