Crown Victoria PI

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

TheEskimo
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TheEskimo »

I know my previous employer would get their CVPI's from Texas HP, I hear they retire theirs at around 60k Mi and are in rather good shape. In fact, they ordered them completely equipped and repainted and had them shipped and still saved a lot of money on what they could find around here.
-Jason
1972 F250 Camper Special 360ci
1973 F100 Custom 390ci
1985 Thinderbird 302ci (DD)
MaxKlinger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Crown Victoria PI

Post by MaxKlinger »

Are police interceptors equipped with turn signals? I've never seen a police car use them. Also, if you drive a CVPI are you required to tailgate every person on the road, or only if you have the push bars?

In my town they supposedly put about 100k miles on their cars per year, and they rotate new cars in every two years. That means they're selling these cars with 200k on the clock, and I doubt they've been well taken care of. For years our town has used 85 octane "municipal gas" in all of their vehicles. I just assumed that was the case for most areas of the country.
Tony
'72 F100 LWB 2WD Custom, 360FE, T18
'05 Focus ZX4 ST - 2.3L, 5spd
'83 F150 LWB 2WD, 300-I6, C6 scrapped 2006
dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Crown Victoria PI

Post by dolinick »

Now I want one!
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck
91Bear
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: re: Crown Victoria PI

Post by 91Bear »

pat67shorty wrote:If you want one... try to get an ex state patrol car... they are maintained to a T and are 99% highway miles.
Like this one?
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/c ... 22996.html
GSequoia
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re:

Post by GSequoia »

Holy old thread Batman!! ;)
Galaxie64 wrote:Check out crownvic.net, it is the fordification of the CV world.
I woudln't say that. There are a WHOLE lot more jackasses on that site and it's low on heady tech., most guys there seem to think changing to different headlights is advanced mods ;) I got nothing but crickets chirping when talking about an upcoming transmission rebuild ;)

On that note and for the record...

CVPIs are nice cars but be aware that the transmission in an ex-service car will be toast, it just might not know it yet. My '05 CVPI has 108k on it and overdrive is useless and it doesn't always like shifting into third. I knew that a transmission job was in it's near future (even though the fluid looked / smelled good and it had no drivability issues) but I sure wish I'd gotten over 1,000 miles out of it before it started slipping! That said I've been led to understand that the 4R70W/4R70E/4R75W is a fairly easy transmission to work with as far as automatic transmissions are concerned. I'll be rebuilding mine as soon as I have some time here.

Just because... Here is a photo of mine:

PS - The 4.6 with the cop dual exhaust sounds nice with Flowmasters. ;)
www.advlifestyle.com
1971 Camper Special (390 / C6 / D60)
1970 F250 High Boy (NP435 / Dana 24 / No engine, rusted to hell and back body, project to combine with above.)
1966 Rustang (289 / C4 Project stalled for ages)
1989 Jeep Cherokee (4.0 / Auto / D30 / D44 / 35's)
1996 Jeep Cherokee (4.0 / Auto / D30 / D35)
Leimen

Re: Crown Victoria PI

Post by Leimen »

Few years back i bought an ex/State Patrol P71CV. Drove almost 2 years before i sold it. Had it as far north as Canada and down to south of San Diego. It ran great never had a problem with it, even got decent gas mileage. Still see the car running around town. Worse thing about it was having people slow down in front of me when they seen it coming, still had the spotlight and push bumpers on it.
bb429power
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by bb429power »

Your from Port Huron? I never knew that, I'd say your about a 2 hour drive from me. I'm starting to find more and more people from Michigan on here.
Justin
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=47482
http://s976.photobucket.com/home/bb429power/allalbums go to both of the albums.
1967 Ford F100 longbed with a 466 500+hp/600+ft-lbs (mine)
1969 Mercury Cougar xr7 with a 351w (dads, I helped alot)
1970 Ford Maverick with a 302 (became our drag car)
1986 f150 5.0 (my DD)
"Many can argue, but it takes a real man to apologize."-Me
fuzzier1
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Re:

Post by fuzzier1 »

Galaxie64 wrote:Check out crownvic.net, it is the fordification of the CV world.
I woudln't say that. There are a WHOLE lot more jackasses on that site and it's low on heady tech., most guys there seem to think changing to different headlights is advanced mods ;) I got nothing but crickets chirping when talking about an upcoming transmission rebuild ;)

I bought a used CV around Christmas and had problems with the ECM (it was MISSING :D ), went to crownvic. net looking for help and it was like pulling teeth to some extent getting help from them. Started reading their rules and they have a stated policy, if you don't know the answer then don't respond. While I can understand to some extent why they do this it just makes the site not feel friendly unless I am sure you post a lot through out the site and get to know others.

Sure isn't like here where it seems like you can come in grab yourself a cup of coffee (cyber coffee) and sit down with friends and just discuss things. Even if you don't have a specific answer to the question asked doesn't mean your response doesn't help sometimes. Anyways about the Crownvic. net, they did help me but it took some prying and just wasn't near as friendly as here. It is a useful site none the less.

Fuzz
MaxKlinger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MaxKlinger »

I seriously considered a used CVPI when I was retiring my Sable (215,000 miles) two years ago. Then fuel hit $4/gallon, so I bought my Focus. I don't regret it one bit, the Focus handles great and I'm glad I have a crisp 5-speed instead of a slushbox (automatics: yuck). If had kids and was looking to get a family car though, I'd probably be looking at Crown Vics again.
import600 wrote:You know those police interceptor crown vics have a lotta attitude
Cars don't have attitude, people do. What's the difference between a police car and a porcupine?
pat67shorty wrote:If you want one... try to get an ex state patrol car... they are maintained to a T and are 99% highway miles.
Depends heavily on which state you're talking about.
Tony
'72 F100 LWB 2WD Custom, 360FE, T18
'05 Focus ZX4 ST - 2.3L, 5spd
'83 F150 LWB 2WD, 300-I6, C6 scrapped 2006
GSequoia
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GSequoia »

MaxKlinger wrote:What's the difference between a police car and a porcupine?
When you run your hand along the Vic you don't have to go to the hospital.
www.advlifestyle.com
1971 Camper Special (390 / C6 / D60)
1970 F250 High Boy (NP435 / Dana 24 / No engine, rusted to hell and back body, project to combine with above.)
1966 Rustang (289 / C4 Project stalled for ages)
1989 Jeep Cherokee (4.0 / Auto / D30 / D44 / 35's)
1996 Jeep Cherokee (4.0 / Auto / D30 / D35)