Re: 67" lift kit

Post by mljjones67 »

Highboy rear spring setup.
Doug Comer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Doug Comer »

Not a big 2wd info guy. But I don't think you can run a body lift on a 2wd becuase the way the steering column hooks to the steering box.

Doug
1967 f100 4x4
1970 f250 4x4
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

Doug Comer wrote:Not a big 2wd info guy. But I don't think you can run a body lift on a 2wd becuase the way the steering column hooks to the steering box.

Doug
:yt:

At least not without a lot of re-engineering!!! :doh:
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

I see where your coming from, and I do see how my original reply would leave him thinking he needed to purchase lift springs for the rear rather than blocks. Thanks for correcting my mistake :thup: 8).
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

My highboy come from the factory with 4" blocks in the rear and has been used and abused and still has the original springs under it from 41years ago. Ive never had any problem with any 4x4 that ive owned with lifting blocks on them and ive owned about 10 or more in my life. The springs i bought for my F350 were from a place in richmond,va named thurston spring and they were made in america not china (not trying to say that in a bad way), On average the truck was #16,000 sometimes more. lifting blocks work fine and if they didnt than they wouldnt have put them on from the factory, If someone is going to go racing, hill climbing, or with high horsepower than someone would need to change over to leafs instead of blocks,but for the average person thats not trying to give there truck everything that it can handle then theres no need to put new springs on. Ive seen leafs get warped from people wheel hopping with 2wd without blocks and 4x4 with blocks.
carpenter547

Post by carpenter547 »

Redcap wrote:Unless you are racing, I don't understand lifting a 2WD truck at all.
to redcap even with out racing applications there are plenty of good reasons to lift a 2wd.

1 bigger tires more ground clearance. even though it is only like 2 inches of axel clearance when you count in the extra hight of the bumper from the suspension lift you are talking about a large increase in acceptable approach angle. also even 2 inches can make a big difference *just ask any lady LOL* for example 2 inches can be the diffenence be tween stuck stuck and slightly stuck in the sand.

2 looks some people want to look bad ass *not me* but some.

3 this one is uninteded most of the time but bare with me. i am a big guy about 260 and 6 foot 1 or 2 inches. my chest is about 52 inches when i am outa shape. bigger tires and a little bit of lift let me get under the truck with out a jack :) and or less jacking if when the truck is sunk. i find that i can't really slide under the truck all comfy like with my stock to slightly modified hight tires that i had before but now witht he 33's on back alot easier in the back. this helps when you need to just skinny on under there to see what is up on the side of the road. :)
"It's ONLY METAL "......you can cut it weld it grind it....oops weld it again grind it again.....finely file to fit.........and paint to match. :lol: I say go for it!
No guts no glory - eggman918
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

carpenter547 wrote:
Redcap wrote:Unless you are racing, I don't understand lifting a 2WD truck at all.
to redcap even with out racing applications there are plenty of good reasons to lift a 2wd.

1 bigger tires more ground clearance. even though it is only like 2 inches of axel clearance when you count in the extra hight of the bumper from the suspension lift you are talking about a large increase in acceptable approach angle. also even 2 inches can make a big difference *just ask any lady LOL* for example 2 inches can be the diffenence be tween stuck stuck and slightly stuck in the sand.

2 looks some people want to look bad ass *not me* but some.

3 this one is uninteded most of the time but bare with me. i am a big guy about 260 and 6 foot 1 or 2 inches. my chest is about 52 inches when i am outa shape. bigger tires and a little bit of lift let me get under the truck with out a jack :) and or less jacking if when the truck is sunk. i find that i can't really slide under the truck all comfy like with my stock to slightly modified hight tires that i had before but now witht he 33's on back alot easier in the back. this helps when you need to just skinny on under there to see what is up on the side of the road. :)
In response.

1. Get a 4WD.

2. Get a 4WD.

3. This is the only one I even slightly understand, being a "stoutly-built" individual myself. :wink:
Billiam68

Post by Billiam68 »

I just purchased a complete economy lift from Autofab ( John) after researching for a year. I have not installed it yet, once I do I will post photos and process. I did not want to spend the $1500 ( added options and shocks) but after seening the quality of his work and the peace of mind I will have by doing the job the right way 1 time it will all be worth it.

Good luck,
Billy
carpenter547

Post by carpenter547 »

to red cap

2. Get a 4WD.

unless you are gonna go mudding you don't always need a 4wd or the extra maintenance :) remember aren't most desert race trucks 2wd? personally i live in a flat desert so 2wd is really all that is needed to go any where. and yes i have tested that statement througholy. in fact i used to embarase the toy hauler crowd by driving right up to where they were stuck offer to pull them out and then walk over to thier truck and say "OHHHHH that's what happened you poped in it 4by ok"

with that said i have been stuck enough to be an expert at digging my stupid ass out. also i think that 4 inches is the max you should lift for a 2wd other wise get a 4wd :)
"It's ONLY METAL "......you can cut it weld it grind it....oops weld it again grind it again.....finely file to fit.........and paint to match. :lol: I say go for it!
No guts no glory - eggman918