Cam swap in 351c

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Cam swap in 351c

Post by fordman »

so your buying a used factory cam from another engine? if so the swap is easy as long as you keep the puch rods and lifters in order. i did that with my 390. when my 390 cam broke.
lifted72

Post by lifted72 »

No im buying a used 70 351c engine and am wondering what it takes to swap a brand new cam in while i am swapping engines. But thank you for your reply!
POLISH EVERYTHING
FordHam

Post by FordHam »

I'm currently rebuilding a 351C now. Depending on the new cams lift and duration, new pushrods may be needed to keep the correct valve train geometry, so you need to check that. Also new cams have specific valve spring recommendations which need to be verified also. To swap the manifold and cam, you are already going to be fairly far into the engine tear down stage, so its not that much more time or money to replace the lifters, gaskets or even take time to check out the valve stem seals and springs, etc. I guess if the new cam is close to stock it may work, but I think you are hoping alot of things are already right with the engine and all of it will go back together and run correctly. That can be alot of hope, and alot can go wrong without checking all your specs and clearances. I only changed my cam slightly and am having to have the spring seats machined and new custom valves ordered to reestablish the proper valve train geometry. Those pedastal mounts just don't allow as much room for error as adjustable rockers do. Just some things I have had to consider. Good luck.
69 SWB, 71 LWB with 351C, 72 LWB with rust

No man has ever laid on his deathbed and said, "I wish I had worked more."
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

You have to replace the lifters with a new flat tappet cam, if you don't the new cam will be junk in a matter of minutes.

I would also strongly recommend replacing the valve springs with the correct ones for the cam.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by rubiranch »

I have a 1972 351 CJ cam, new still in the tube. :thup:
72 F-250 CS XLT 390 C-6 4.10 40k miles
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
I don't carry because I have to, I carry because I get to.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=514
lifted72

Post by lifted72 »

Hey thanks guys. So i ended up getting the engine for only 150! The is now guarantee that it runs but i think it only has 45k on it. I decided before i even mess with changing anything out on it, Putting my 4bbl intake on it and the rear sump pan) im going to just throw it in there make sure it runs.
POLISH EVERYTHING