K&N Filter cleaner substitutes

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Merlin68F100

K&N Filter cleaner substitutes

Post by Merlin68F100 »

I seem to use more cleaner than oil so I have extra cans of the K&N oil. I could order a gallon of the K&N cleaner but thought I would ask and see if anybody is using anything else. Simple Green, Purple Stuff or something else.
"A point in every direction is the same as no point at all."
The Pointless Man
mrtleavitt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: K&N Filter cleaner substitutes

Post by mrtleavitt »

I would stick with the name brand K&N cleaner. A good friend of mine tried to use a substitute on his K&N on a performance 4 wheeler (2005 Honda 450R) and it ruined his filter and fauled his plug. Basically it ran like crap for about a month and then it finally cleaned out.
green68250

Post by green68250 »

I have never used anything other than the K&N stuff. I would thing that any degreaser type cleaner would work. I was going to try the orange scented degreaser when I ran out of the K&N stuff. The K&N cleaner looks just like the orange scented stuff. As long as you wash it out really good and let it dry, you should be fine.

Corbin
Honestly, I really would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy.

1969 F-100 4x4 Dana 44 w/ disk brakes and power steering conversion 390 c6 np205.
1970 F-250 97k original miles bone stock 390 np435 most original unmolested truck I have ever owned.
2001 F-250, Extra Cab, 4x4, 7.3 Direct Injected Turbo Diesel, Edge Programmer, Flowmaster 4" Turbo back Exhaust, 3" Leveling Kit with 33" Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs, and has 250,000 miles and counting.
FoMoCo
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoMoCo »

I let mine soak in water with laundry detergent. The surfactants in the detergent will make the dirt float of the filter. Then rinse with cold water and let it dry. The local Harley dealer sells K-N aerosol oil in large cans.

Nick
1969 F-100
2006 Fusion SEL
2006 e-320 cdi
2004 excursion V-10
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

Take it to the carwash & soak it with the "tire cleaner" stuff. You know the green stuff. Its just a mild de-greaser. Then, with the wand on rinse, at LOW PRESSURE, FROM A DISTANCE, clean out the filter. Dont pull back on the trigger as you just need the low pressure to clean it up. Let it dry & oil it back up & your good to go.

Obviously if you just attack the filter like its a dirty floor mat your going to tear it up, so its best if you go easy on it.

Been doing it this way for 10 years now & never had a problem one with a K&N filter. The one in my Dodge right now is 7 years old & its still like new.
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Thunderfoot »

I've always just used "DAWN" dishwashing soap, and wash mine out in the sink. the Dawn cuts grease (and the K&N oil) and cleans it just fine, rinse it out good and let dry like normal, new K&N oil and go. :thup:
Now my UNI filter I have on my duramax, well the oil used on them this wont work, I have to use the cleaner they supply as the dish soap wont even touch it. :(
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399