engine missing at idle question

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

engine missing at idle question

Post by SteveC »

Ok as some of you know i recently rebuilt my 352 FE in my 67 It has been running fine up untill about a week ago i have a slight miss.

Not real bad but it idles smooth then the idle drops for a sec maybe 100 or so rpm then idles fine...every 3-5 secs maybe less.
when i turned the engine over with remote start and the coil wire off i can hear like a woosh sound on closer investigation i found the sound to be coming from #4,5,6 spark plug holes. I pulled the sparkplugs and checked them they look almost new i put them back in and made sure they are tight...turned it over again and the woosh sound is gone, i also check to make sure the wires were on good...havent tried to start the truck since it was cold and i was outside with out a coat.

Ill start it probally tomorrow and see if that helps,,
The question is can a spark plug not sealing the hole well cause a miss?? I probally should check the timing as well i have to go get a light when time allows.
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
saidyene

Re: engine missing at idle question

Post by saidyene »

It absolutely can cause a miss. You have to have 3 things to have a running engine: fuel spark and compression. With a bad seal at the plugs your not getting enough compression. Check it out now that the plugs are tight. You should see an improvement.
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69rangerman »

Ditto. I was surprised at the change snugging the plugs had on my compression tests.

Hope that's it.

:fr:
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

69rangerman wrote:Ditto. I was surprised at the change snugging the plugs had on my compression tests.

Hope that's it.

:fr:
How do you do a compression test with the plugs in?
Another thing that can cause a fluctuation like that is float level.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

well taking the plugs that were wooshing and tightening them helped.. alot. It idles smoother now the rpms dont drop anymore, the vacuum gauge nolonger moves up and down with every miss. And the truck starts a lot better warm( It would act like the engine is dragging).

Thanks for the help guys
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)