Truck won’t start

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

The Good Humor Man

Truck won’t start

Post by The Good Humor Man »

I had my 69, 250 300 6 cyl. Running 2 days ago. I have been working on the dash, and wiring the last couple days, then today, I decided to change a fuel filter that was in line before the fuel pump, and now it won’t start.
It sound like it wants to start, but then loses it. When you pump the gas, there is gas shooting in, when I loosen the clamps on the fuel line by the carb, it is under pressure so that means the pump is pumping it up to that point. The new fuel filter is full.
I took out a plug, and it looked dry, so I am thinking it is a fuel problem. I am a lone wolf, so I don’t have someone to turn it over while I check for spark, I am going to try and recruited someone tomorrow.
I also tapped on the carb with a hammer, and dumped a little fuel down the carb, and the same thing.
When you floor it while turning it over, it sounds like it is going to start, and revs high, but no start.
I am thinking float is stuck? Would fuel pump into the carb when you pump it if the float is stuck?
Any other suggestions on what to check next.
Thanks in advance.
http://WWW.GoodHumorTrucks.Com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Truck won’t start

Post by fordman »

can you see gas sqiurtinto the carb when you work the linkage by hand? if not the float could be stuck shut.
The Good Humor Man

Yes gas does squirt when you hit it a couple times, it doesnt appear to be getting any besides that few squirts
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

maybe some dirt got intothe ssytem when you changed the filter and now is clogging the jets or the needle valve.
The Good Humor Man

Thanks fordman, That is what I am thinking also.
The Good Humor Man

Alright, this has got me stumped. I have spark, I have fuel, it should run.
I even tried (I hate doing it but desperate) trying to start it on starting fluid. And no change in how it sounds.
I tries to start, but nothing, I took out a plug, and jumped the solenoid, and watched, and had a good solid spark, so there is spark.
I also pulled off the fuel line, and there is fuel flowing, I would think that the starting fluid would have at least started it, or made it sound more like it will start.
When you floor it, while turning it over, it sounds like it was going to run away, but it really isn’t running.
I had a wire that ran under the dash, and it got hot every time I had the key on, and I cut it a week ago. When I tried to start the truck a couple days ago, it sounded like it does now, and when I reconnected the wire, it started up, and ran fine. That wire is still connected, but now I found a wire that turns hot when you crank the key over, it looks like it should be connected to something under the dash, and I can’t find a wire that it looks like it connected to.
Any suggestions on where to look next. I have been searching past post, and trying different things, and still no change.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

The Good Humor Man

Your the BEST Fordman, I took the wire the Mystery wire and it looked like it went to the ignition switch, (the one I couldn't understand whey it had power running to it when you cranked it), hooked it to power, and it started right up.

Thanks that diagram helped a lot.
Carl
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

wow i fixed something . i'll ad that to my resume. :lol: