Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

What's a "blueprinted" engine?

Post by robroy »

Good evening,

I've heard of "blueprinted" engines for years but have never known what that meant. What's a "blueprinted" engine?

Thanks!
-Robroy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: What's a "blueprinted" engine?

Post by robroy »

I'm guessing that it means an engine that's assembled using an exact formula, including all internal dimensions and properties, to yield a known outcome. But I really have no idea.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

it means that its put back to the factory specs. they uusally say balanced and blueprinted.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Oh, I see! So do they put the engine back to the factory specs to ensure that it runs with the exact same characteristics that it did when new? For an ideal, true restoration?

Thanks Fordman!
-Robroy
HOWDY69
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by HOWDY69 »

I think it is a little like saying a car was detailed. Which basically means they cleaned the car better than usual. A builder who blueprints a motor will carefully measure and check tolerances. For balancing they will remove a little bit of material from each set of pistons and rods so they weigh about the same. They may also check the volume above the pistons when they are at top dead center so the compression can be calculated with some precision. In general it means the engine is built with some care and certain measurements were taken and documented. How much care depends on the builder and the intended purpose of the engine.
69 F250, FE Specialties 410, CJ Valves, RPM Intake, Holley 4150,......10 Smiles per gallon
71 Clydesdale in many pieces; 302 roller motor waiting impatiently
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by kaptnkaos »

Technically, "Blueprinting" is the machining of components to tighter tolerances to achieve better balance.
Better balance means less engine stress and ultimately better performance.
Performance engine builders will have an engine "blueprinted" to optimize it's potential HP output.
Tolerances, determined buy engineers, are given to machinists who machine each part to it's optimum tolerance before the builder assembles the engine.
Is it worth it for a street engine...
Not really, but if yer building one for racing, it could be the difference that means a paycheck...
Any engine can be balanced, which will give it better performace, but it isn't nearly as good as a blueprinted one

KaptnKA 8) S
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
saidyene

Post by saidyene »

Blueprinting isn't always to factory spec. Its just being exactly to the spec that is planed for. If you think about it you cant get an engine to exact spec in a factory. It just takes too much time to make it profitable. You get a "blueprinted" engine by having it machined to the exact spec you want.
FORD428CJ

Post by FORD428CJ »

Blueprinting is a little more then what has been mentioned. Its truing up the deck, boring out the cylinders to the relation of the crank, truing up heads (resurfacing). The factory is a little rough compared to a Blueprinted engine. Check out the Poor Mans 427! That will give ya a little more detail on blueprinting an engine. JMHO :thup:
Wes Adams FORD428CJ
Built Ford Tuff With Good Ford Stuff
79 F-250 X-Cab 4x4 6.9 Turbo Diesel
64 Falcon X-Ram 428
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with X-Ram 428
67 Stang 351 C/J
2000 Yamaha V-MAX VMOA#4277
fireguywtc
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fireguywtc »

Is your new 390 blueprinted Robroy?
Bill
1967 F-250 LWB 2WD 352 V8, 4spd manual, true duals, 122k original miles (currently being restored)
1970 F-250 4x4 highboy ranger 390 V8, 4spd
2012 F-350 PSD FX4 LWB CC lariat, white
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... hp?uid=602
"If you want to judge a person's true character, give them power."
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

wowsers.... i remember the day when a motor that was "balanced & blued" was the thing...mainly 'cause it sounded cool & 90% of the yokels standing around had no idea EXACTLY what it meant.

My interpretation is...assembled to an exacting specification. All piston rings the same end clearance, all bearings the same clearance, oil pump "worked". So on & so on...There are a number of specifications that people will check, recheck, and test before/and during assembly. Assembled valve height, spring rate, etc.Cam degreed in, block de-burred, all bolt holes chased & chamfered, casting flash removed. Balanced goes without saying. Being horribly anal about detail is a good way to sum it all up.
There are a number of "tricks" specific to each engine that can be performed, both to ensure longevity & performance.

:2cents:
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

fireguywtc wrote:Is your new 390 blueprinted Robroy?
Hey FireGuyWTC,

That I don't know! I could call and ask, although it sounds like the definition of a blueprinted engine varies--at least based upon this thread--and it doesn't seem to be black and white. Meaning that it sounds as though two engines can both be blueprinted, yet one received far greater attention to detail than the other (and could perform better).

Thanks for all the interesting responses!
-Robroy
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Blueprinting means machining the engine components to match the factory blueprints precisely, and carefully and methodically maintaining all factory-specified tolerances, which eliminates all the normal production variances. In other words, "close enough" ain't good enough....it has to be exact. It takes a little (lot) more time to achieve, but the end result is worth it.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hey Keith! I think one of the key differences between the various definitions of blueprinting is whether or not the engine is returned to factory specs, or some other exact set of specs (like the known specifications for a particular hot rod engine build).

Other than ensuring that the engine behaves exactly like the factory setup, is there any benefit gained by returning it to the factory specs? Versus returning it to known good, hot rod specs?

Thanks Keith!
-Robroy
fireguywtc
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fireguywtc »

Probably debateable, but I believe the blueprinting applys to an exact spec build wether it's factory specs or something totally unique. Keep all the specs exact no matter what specs are called for. Clear as mud?? :wink:
Bill
1967 F-250 LWB 2WD 352 V8, 4spd manual, true duals, 122k original miles (currently being restored)
1970 F-250 4x4 highboy ranger 390 V8, 4spd
2012 F-350 PSD FX4 LWB CC lariat, white
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... hp?uid=602
"If you want to judge a person's true character, give them power."
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

That answer makes sense to me, since this kind of build is probably very different from approximating all the way through the engine.

-Robroy