Bent push rods again!!!

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Bent push rods again!!!

Post by BobbyFord »

I'm not arguing. I'm disagreeing. I've owned at least 10 different FE vehicles. My dad has owned at least 5 different Ford trucks. I'm just saying I've never seen a FE bend pushrods from over-revving. My truck has shifted at 6,000 rpms for 25 years, never had a valvetrain failure. I don't even understand how excessive rpms can bend a pushrod without something binding (rocker, valve guide, etc.).
I guess we'll just agree to disagree :)
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

O.K. let us get back to the situation. Since the original poster states that he has been careful not to overrev the engine I think we can eliminate that as a cause.

So what do we have? Moreover, what do we know?

Now I do seem to recall that this truck sat for an extended period. That could be a hint. I also think that I recall that the engine is believed to be stock.

Question, was it the same pushrods as before?

We never know what has been done to an engine in what roughly 40 years of its life though.

I think my course of action would be something like:

Check condition of valve stems to ensure no excessive build up binding valves, ensure that valve springs are not coil binding and retainers are not striking guides at full lift.

Check valve lifter is within specified range of preload as per the factory repair manual, this is adjusted on a stock FE by changing the pushrod length...

Check that oil is draining from the valve lifters and they are not becoming "solid".
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

That's why I suggested pulling the springs off of the suspect cylinders, inspect the springs and check how easily the valve moves in the guide. Also, at this point it will be easy to check for rocker arm bind.