found out what was wrong with my 302

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

my1stf-100

found out what was wrong with my 302

Post by my1stf-100 »

after pulling my intake and replacing the gaskets and bolts and all new inginiton sys went with the mallory 6al combo all new vac hoses and fuel lines and adjusting the carb to find out i have a bad brand new carb fuel is running out into the sec of my carb when at a idel and when i shut my truck of i still have fuel running out of my fuel bowls to the sec of the carb so after calling autozone they stated that they could do nothing and to call holley so i called holley they stated that they could do nothing becouse it was over the 90 day i told them it just went on my 302 that i was building so now i have a $278.00 doller paper wight so i will never buy a thing thats made from holley or go to autozone so anyone know of a great carb from edelbrock let me know. i dont even have 2hours of running time on the holley .
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: found out what was wrong with my 302

Post by willowbilly3 »

When you use no caps or punctuation, it makes it hard for us old guys to read. Some of us are pretty jurasic and went to school when they still taught us that silly stuff.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

Sorry you had a bad experience with the Holley.With all the banging around during shipping, yours is not an isolated occurance Think i'd check the back float level before i went changing carbs.Believe it or not, a quick rap on the float adjustment assy on the back bowl can straighten it out enough for the vehicle to run whilst you "correctly" adjust the rear float level.

Edelbrock = controlled fuel leak, IMHO :lol:
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
71 LONG BED
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 71 LONG BED »

willowbilly3 wrote:When you use no caps or punctuation, it makes it hard for us old guys to read. Some of us are pretty jurasic and went to school when they still taught us that silly stuff.
:lol: I was out of breath just reading it!
John Member #1549
71 F100 Sport Custom__________1967 F350 Gone, but not forgotten
Image Image Image
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

Too bad. I have only ran Holley carbs for years. Never had a problem with one at all. I would just find a good Holley re builder & have the problem fixed. Then it will be good to go. Too bad it has to come to that, but everyone makes a lemon every now & then.

As for a carb for your engine, what are the specs on the motor? What size was the Holley you were going to run?? :hmm:
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
my1stf-100

Post by my1stf-100 »

i talked to holley today they said that i can send them my carb and they will rebuild it and send it to me .it will take about 7 days and i have to pay for shipping .so ill send it to them get the carb fixed and buy a better carb and just keep the holley for if i need it sometime
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69rangerman »

Please don't turn this into the holley vs edelbrock war...

After rebuilding my 302 and having too many problems with an ebay autolite, I plunked down for an eddy 600 manual choke, and auto tranny kit, put it on and haven't touched it in a year and a half.

The only thing that is a (very minor) issue is that the fuel bowls are smaller than other makes so that if you let it sit for a week or two it seems to drain back or evap. or something, and I have to crank it til the fuel can get back to the bowls - but it will start and run - set and forget.

That and the petronix point replacement are the 2 biggest improvements to the performance/dependability issues.

I have never owned / used a holley so I'm just speaking from my own single experience.

:fr:
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
my1stf-100

Post by my1stf-100 »

thats not the issue its the big crack i found in the back fuel bowl
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

Wow that is unusual.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
my1stf-100

Post by my1stf-100 »

think it was droped some where in shiping are at autozone