for the first time in over a year....

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

for the first time in over a year....

Post by aramil »

i am attempting to start my truck, its been sitting so long that im worried somthing bad might have happened like it got siezed up, anything i should do to it before trying to start it? the battery is sorta charged but i think it will turn over with a jump.
72, f-100 ranger xlt, 360-c6, 2wd 84k miles.
77, ford f-150 custom 4x4, 400m-c6 SOLD

"the existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, sid to himself, "i want to set those people over there on fire, but i dont feel like walking over there to do it"
ford4x4fun
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: for the first time in over a year....

Post by ford4x4fun »

I would definantly check all fluids. And I would suggest charging the battery before trying to start it. Basically just go over the whole thing and give it a good once over. I would check your fuel too, and if you can replace the old stuff with new fuel it would be better than sucking all the old stuff into your carb. Other than that can't think of a thing I guess :thup: oh and Good Luck!
CNR Radio Instructor
US ARMY Retired
1971 Ford F100 4x4 (390)
2015 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.7l
427blackpearl
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 427blackpearl »

i would pull the coil wire so it wont start and let it turn over a few times to get some oil moved around :2cents:
Brett6269
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Brett6269 »

:yt:
lover of old fords
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

disconnect the fuel line and blow it back into the tank from the pump back. and then start it from gallon of fresh ags to make sure you dont suck up any junk into the fuel pump.
green68250

Post by green68250 »

Its better to unhook the ground to the coil than to disconnect the coil wire itself. The coil will still energize without unhooking the ground which can damage the coil. Other than that just make sure everything looks good anf go for it.

Corbin
Honestly, I really would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy.

1969 F-100 4x4 Dana 44 w/ disk brakes and power steering conversion 390 c6 np205.
1970 F-250 97k original miles bone stock 390 np435 most original unmolested truck I have ever owned.
2001 F-250, Extra Cab, 4x4, 7.3 Direct Injected Turbo Diesel, Edge Programmer, Flowmaster 4" Turbo back Exhaust, 3" Leveling Kit with 33" Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs, and has 250,000 miles and counting.
aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by aramil »

well, i attempted to start it. one of my friends dads came over and pointed out that my starter is dragging horribly so we took the belt off the ac to lighten up the pulley system but that didnt work, the distributer has power but it isnt coming out the points and the timing belt is very loose. he also said the coil seems to be kinda weak. but it turns over just not fast and it wont fire.

"the existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, sid to himself, "i want to set those people over there on fire, but i dont feel like walking over there to do it"
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

charge up the battery and reset or get new points. then try again.
aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by aramil »

how do you reset the points? im gonna put the battery on my friends charger to top it off.

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

you need a gap guage to set them or a match book cover will get it close. the gap for a fe engine is .017. at times i used a fingernail fine to clean the points.
aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by aramil »

i have a gap guage, its one of those circle thingymajigers, but could you give me a step by step on how to do this, i have almost no experience on anything except how to do oil changes. also a nieghbor of mine said that my starter might be full of oil or somthin and that he could tear my starter down and clean it. has any one ever done this?

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

those circle ones probably wont work. you have to have one of the flat guage folding type. you can find them at parts stores. i think they are about 10.00 for the whole set. but you want to get your lobe on the center of the dist to open the points. and stay on the point to where they are open at. then you loosen bothe screws with the gap guage between the points. once they are far enough open to slightly slide the guage in and out of the points you tighten the screws. be careful because tightening the screws can close the points up a little. thats why i ususally leave the guage in the points while i tigthten the screws. i hope i explained that well enough.
aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by aramil »

i know the tool you are talking about fordman, ill see if my dad has one and give it a try, i think the gap thing could be the reason the points arnt getting power but the spinny thing in the dizzy is.

aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by aramil »

i couldnt find one of those folding gap guages but a friend told me i could use the cover on a book of matches and that it was close ie this true?

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

yes it is. dotn fold it over that is wrong. just use the edge of it.