390 engine

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 390 engine

Post by fordman »

yes they owe you a renbuilt motor. when you put the rocker shafts abck on you have to go little by little on each bolt to evenly tighten them down. original stock fe are notorius for low oil pressure from the factory after they have been run for some time. if it has that much oil pressure to the top something is wrong with that i think. oh and i read on here someplace that the oil pump screns have a hole that can let junk in up behind the metal part where the screen ends near the tube i think. it could be something like a spun bearing. that would not let oil circulate rpoeprly. the only way to know is to pull the bearing caps and check the bearings. if one has spun you'll know it.
FORD428CJ

Re: 390 engine

Post by FORD428CJ »

My427stang wrote:An FE unless severely resticted ALWAYS looks like its pumping all the oil to the top

Are you sure that was really the problem?

Sounds to me like there may have been another issue. I have run unrestricted rockers to 6500 rpm with a stock pan in a 427, and although stupid :) , it lived just fine

Sounds to me like you had a bottom end problem
Does sound like a bottom end proble to me. I agree with Ross. I never run restrictors in my heads BUT I run a solid roller out on the street and want to make sure that I have plunty of oil to keep the springs cool! JMHO
Wes Adams FORD428CJ
Built Ford Tuff With Good Ford Stuff
79 F-250 X-Cab 4x4 6.9 Turbo Diesel
64 Falcon X-Ram 428
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with X-Ram 428
67 Stang 351 C/J
2000 Yamaha V-MAX VMOA#4277