Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

71Ford100
Preferred User
Preferred User

OT: Interesting deal about Flatheads

Post by 71Ford100 »

I stole this from a tractor forum:

"How many of us knew that the Ford flathead engines continued to be built and used by the french in military trucks unti a few years ago.They are considered to be a better engine than the orignal ford,but have 24 volt systems and several other changes,but are interchangable with46 to 48 flatheads.They are being sold by some US dealers and British surplus dealers.This was a big suprise when I first read about it.There is a web site ,but Ihave forgoten it."

Anyone know anytihng about this?
Lance Peters
'72 250 4x4 project,''71 F-100 daily driver,69 F-250 4x4 Crew, '68 F-100, '68 F-250 crew under restoration, '52 Dodge 1/2 ton overload, gazillion tractors and combines
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: OT: Interesting deal about Flatheads

Post by Dragon »

Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
two-bit
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: OT: Interesting deal about Flatheads

Post by two-bit »

Most people in the Flatty circles call them French blocks.
I have never come across anyone who says they are better than the original blocks.
In some ways Flatty builders prefer the original blocks because of the amount of heating and cooling cycles they have been through.
A "fresh" French block may crack between the exhaust ports and cylinder walls because the cast has never been through the rigors of the heating and cooling cycles. Major PITA for engine builders.
The older blocks have been heated and cooled thousands of times, if they were going to crack, they would have done it 50 years ago and become something else real fast.
The cooling aspect is one of the greatest drawbacks to a Flatty, that and trying to get it to breathe.

I was always very careful with my 337 in my F-5. I watched the temp gauges like hawk. Replaced my water pumps in pairs, thermostats pre-tested for opening temps, and two separate senders to separate gauges from the heads.
Please don't get me wrong, Flattys are not bad engines, on the contrary, they are very simple to work on, rather durable, and very eye catching. You just need to know there maintenance aspects, like any engine.

Where did that soap box come from??
Two-bit
Living life full throttle on the North Coast of America!!!

72' F-350, DRW, 360, NP435, Dana 70, 159" WB, P.S., P.B., 12' flatbed, 10,000 GVW.