My new engine is dying on me

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

mrtleavitt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

My new engine is dying on me

Post by mrtleavitt »

My brother and I just finished his truck a few months ago. It's a pretty sweet 390. Edelbrock aluminum heads, MSD ignition, headman headders, pretty tall cam, plus lots of other things. Well, as we drive it down the road it dies. There's not much reason or rhyme to the problem. One time it died as we were turning about 4,000 RPM and another at a stop sign just idling. It takes 5-20 minutes for it to start back up. Everything on it is new. It has a edelbrock fuel pump with a Edelbrock 750 manual choke. It doesn't run long enough to get vapor lock, it's usually within the first 5 minutes of driving. Fuel filters are good, fuel lines are clean as well as the gas tank. Any ideas guys?
Ranchero50

Re: My new engine is dying on me

Post by Ranchero50 »

Is it fuel dieing of ignition cutting out?
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
mrtleavitt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by mrtleavitt »

Fuel
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

check your gas cap. if not check your fuel tank vaper lines (if applicable).

also next time it dies try getting out of the truck and loosen the gas cap and see if air sucks in.
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

mrtleavitt wrote:Fuel
Please tell us how you determined it was fuel? Does it still have a strong spark?
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
mrtleavitt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by mrtleavitt »

Ya, it still has spark at the plugs when it won't start. When it does die, it begins to stutter and then run on just a few cylinders instead of the 8. The jetting is stock on the 750 edelbrock so I couldn't imagine that it is too rich or too lean to make these problems. It might be a little rich or lean, but not enough to cause the truck to die.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Any chance it has water in the tank?
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

checking the gas cap and checking to see if anything has gotten into the tank are both great ideas. someone could have just put something in the tank.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

I had a similiar problem with an edelbrock 750 carb I bought used. The edelcraps have a fuel line cast into the top cover with a fuel filter inside. The carb I got must have been run on a vehicle with a really bad rusty fuel tank and the tiny rust particles got past the fuel filter and clogged up that fuel line. It was funny the way it happened too because the particles would all go to the side farthest from the fuel inlet so the cylinders on that side would starve for fuel.

If you have a new carb I doubt that's your problem, but it might be if it's a used one.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
mrtleavitt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by mrtleavitt »

Thanks for the info, that's a crazy story averagef250. It is a new carb but it's worth checking the internal filter on the carb. I didn't know the carbs had one in there. That makes sense because my engine starts cutting out a few cylinders at a time so maybe it's doing the same. I have some free time today so I'll see what I can figure out.