Universal fuel sender on aux tank

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

albertv78

Universal fuel sender on aux tank

Post by albertv78 »

I'm thinking of buying the gauges that mbuchman is selling on the for sale thread. My question involves getting the fuel sender to work. I believe the kit he's selling comes with a universal type fuel sender. I think that type needs to be mounted on top of the tank, the kicker is that I'm going to be using the aux under cab fuel tank which has the sender mounted on the side rather than the top. I think I can still use the universal sender because if I remember correctly the later style aux tank (70-72) have a vent on the top that uses a standard fuel sender mount (5 hole). Then I can leave the stock sender on the tank and just use it for the fuel pickup. What do you guys think? Is it feasible or am I crazy?
Thanks,
Albert
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Universal fuel sender on aux tank

Post by Dragon »

My 71s aux tank does not have enough depth for most universal senders. Plus my tank does not have the place on top you are talking about. One of the diagrams in the book shows a smog system connector that might have a place for the sender but it doesn't show it well.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
albertv78

Post by albertv78 »

My tank looks like this one:
That top part is a vent for the charcoal canister I believe but I'm not gonna use it anyway so I'm hoping to mount the sender there.
I'll have to check tomorrow to see if it really does have the same bolt pattern as the fuel sender and to see if its deep enough for the sender.
Albert
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

That the charcoal canister fitting that my book barely showed.

I wish I could find a new filler hose.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test
Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Hawkrod »

albertv78 wrote:My tank looks like this one:
That top part is a vent for the charcoal canister I believe but I'm not gonna use it anyway so I'm hoping to mount the sender there.
I'll have to check tomorrow to see if it really does have the same bolt pattern as the fuel sender and to see if its deep enough for the sender.
Albert
There are no bolts holting that vent in, it is a twist ring just like a sender on a Ford. A universal sender can work as depth is not an issue, just make sure that the sender you use is designed for the depth that you (they come in different sizes) have and that there are no obstructions inside of the tank to prevent the arm from swinging full range. What kind of gauge are you planning on using? Most universal senders will not work with a Ford gauge so I assume you have aftermarket? Hawkrod
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 F250 4X4
86 SVO
76 F250 Crew Cab
67 F250 Ranger
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/veh ... 9&detail=1
albertv78

Post by albertv78 »

I am looking to install a dolphin fuel gauge and sender. If the tank is too shallow I'll look into getting a sender from classic instruments since theirs are adjustable from 6" to 24". I believe the dolphin guage reads a 0 ohm empty 90 ohm full range.
Thanks
Albert
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

The service manual for stock F-series gauges 10 (8-12 tolerance) Ohms for high reading and 73 (60-86 tolerance) ohms for low reading This covers Temperature, Fuel level,and Oil pressure.

They also use the Voltage chopper(regulator) which must be at 5 volts or the gauges burn up.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test