How to upgrade to 79 Throttle cable

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

How to upgrade to 79 Throttle cable

Post by Thunderfoot »

Ok guys here is what I did to install a 79 style throttle pedal and cable on my 69 Highboy.

Changing from the stock trapeze style throttle linkage to a 79 Ford Truck Throttle (Accelerator) Cable and pedal setup.
This example and procedure were for my application with a stock 4 barrel manifold with an Edelbrock carburetor on it, but it should work for all as you can bend to adjust the arm as needed. I will try to get some pictures of the 2 barrel carb and what will be needed for it soon...

The 79 Ford Truck and Bronco use this type of throttle linkage. If needed you can get a replacement cable from the parts stores for about $20.00 http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList ... 56&PTSet=A

As you can see the mounting bracket is the same. The engine side arm is a little longer and has less offset so it lines up with the carb.
Image Image Image

You will need to get the ball mount for the carburetor http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

Remove the old linkage set up and the pedal mounted to the firewall.

I had to drill the hole in the linkage out just a bit for my ball mount to go in with a 15/64 drill bit. Image

Mounted the ball in the carb.

For my application I have a stock 4 barrel manifold with an Edelbrock carburetor on it. The linkage mount is further forwards then the 2 barrel carb so to make the pedal height right in the cab I had to bend the arm a bit to get it just right. (Very easy to do)

Here you can see the amount of offset difference from the stock arm to the 79’s.

Here is after a couple of adjustments and installs but still not enough yet to get it just right for my application.

I ended up with just about zero offset to get the pedal where it was on the floor and the carb is full throttle. You want to get it where the pedal is on the floor so as not to have extra strain on the cable and carb linkage when you mash it! :evil:

This is what my 69 Highboy had on it from the PO for a linkage… :doh:

Here it is with the upgraded 79 set up! :clap: :thup: :D

Let me know if you have any questions or would like better pictures of anything. :wink:

:fr:
Thanks,
Shayne
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Sure looking good there.

Could a person use a throttle setup from an 80-87 as well?
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

that kinda pedal and linkage look like it would work an EFI setup decent enough.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: How to upgrade to 79 Throttle cable

Post by Thunderfoot »

spartman, I haven't looked at one so not sure... One of my next wrecking yard trips I'll have to remember to take a look... I got lucky and this came out of a 79 that I'm scrapping out for the front disc brakes and PS and some other parts.

rjewkes I would think it should work fine. If the cable wasn't long enough for some reason you could probably find one off another car/truck that might work or get a custom one made.
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Only reason I ask is that I for whatever reason have a throttle setup from a mid 80's 1/2 ton that had the 300 in it.

Not sure why it seemed like a good idea to get it at the time. :hmm: :hmm:
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Shayne,

That's good stuff man! :thup:

After I toss the pedal assembly from my 79' I scrapped out 2 years ago... :cry:

Jeff
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

thanks for that thunderfoot! just what i was looking for.
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
BiggDogg
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by BiggDogg »

Wow great post, great pics!
1970 F250 Camper Special
"Its no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk."
H-DFord

Post by H-DFord »

Thats a nice setup. I'll have to see if my 77 pedal is any good before I scrap it.
1968 Ford Ranger Lb
2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cdeal28078 »

I have gone to the rod type on my 460 and like it pretty well. Will the cable type do away with the backlash or whatever you would call it? Like when you hit a bump and mash the gas a bit not meaning to.
Mine gets me when I am leaning in it a bit and it shift to 2nd. Makes me flutter the gas peddle a little bit. Does it fix that?
clint
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: How to upgrade to 79 Throttle cable

Post by Thunderfoot »

cdeal28078 wrote:I have gone to the rod type on my 460 and like it pretty well. Will the cable type do away with the backlash or whatever you would call it? Like when you hit a bump and mash the gas a bit not meaning to.
Mine gets me when I am leaning in it a bit and it shift to 2nd. Makes me flutter the gas peddle a little bit. Does it fix that?
clint
Clint,
I haven't had any of that but mine is a manual shift... but never had any problems with hitting bumps either with this setup.
In my 2wd with all the stock stuff on it I never had a problem there either...
You might check your cab mounts on your truck if they are loose or rusted out, then the cab will move around a bit when hitting bumps etc. and could cause the linkage to change the throttle.
Maybe a stiffer return spring on yours might help also. :dk:
:2cents:
Shayne
Shayne

mljjones67
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: How to upgrade to 79 Throttle cable

Post by mljjones67 »

Thanks thunderfoot. Nice write up. I should have kept my 79 pedal. :cry: :doh:
fireguywtc
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fireguywtc »

That looks really good, I like the idea! :thup: Looks a lot better and safer then the ceiling fan chain you had before. :P
Bill
1967 F-250 LWB 2WD 352 V8, 4spd manual, true duals, 122k original miles (currently being restored)
1970 F-250 4x4 highboy ranger 390 V8, 4spd
2012 F-350 PSD FX4 LWB CC lariat, white
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... hp?uid=602
"If you want to judge a person's true character, give them power."
Joshpow
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Joshpow »

I like that. I'll have to find one for the 72. One more thing to see my buddy the parts supplier about. Thanks for that post.
Josh

72 F-100 Ranger XLT SWB
71 F-100 Custom SWB
67 F-350 Dually Dump
02 F-250 Stroke
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2972100
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

I've scrapped out a good number of 79 Fords and not all of them have the cable throttle.

Another thing to consider, and a problem I've experienced several times, is the metal/plastic pedal pivot breaking in half. There are actually 3 different pedal designs for the 67-79 trucks. The first is the 67-70 setup and it has a very thick metal pivot that does not crack. The next is the 71-mid 70's that appears the same, but the aluminum/zinc pivot section is much thinner and likes to crack. The third is plastic. The plastic ones were both rod and cable style. The plastic is better than the later thin metal ones, but they do still break.

Something to keep in mind. I've had to drive home running shoe laces tied to the throttle with my hand when the pedal pivot broke on my twice now. I only run the early throttle pedal in my trucks now, never had an issue with them.

If you want to run a cable throttle on an old pedal you can crimp an end on the cable that will snap right onto the ball stud on the old pedal or you can cut the upper pedal section off an 80 and up pedal, weld it to the old pedal on the inside of the firewall, drill a hole through the firewall and snap any late model throttle cable right in.

I've been able to run the external cable style (like the 79 pedal) on EFI 300 sixes and rotary pump cummins installs, but I've had to go to the late model style pedal for an EFI V8 or an inline pump cummins install for clearance reasons.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70