Oil pressure changed?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Oil pressure changed?

Post by Kurt Combs »

I posted recently about my oil pressure being lower as my speed increased. Well I drove the truck a lot yesterday, my normal 35 miles to work, and then another 60 miles to a doctor's appointment and then back home. When I was about 20 miles from home going up a long steep hill I noticed my oil pressure was higher than normal, almost as high as when I first start the engine. My other gauges were behaving normal (for Ford gauges). I drove the truck to work today and the oil pressure stayed high both directions, even at high speeds. So, either my oil gauge is defective or my engine just healed itself. Everything seems to be normal sounding and the truck runs like its normal self. The guage sits at about 3/4 over at cruising speeds (which means nothing other than it is higher than it was by about a quarter of the guage). Anyone have similar experience with a FE 360? Is something plugged up and about to explode?
Kurt
1972 F-250
theskytoucher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Oil pressure changed?

Post by theskytoucher »

i thought i remember reading in a post liek your about the rubber valve seals corroding away and getting stuck in oil return passages so maybe they cleard themselves out allowing full oil flow again!! I would be inclined to change the oil though to try to get as much of that crap out as possible!!! :2cents:
-Troy-

1996 Dodge ram 1500 4x4
1976 Ford F-150 4x4

Quando Omni Flunkus Mortadi
When all else Fails Play Dead
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I would probably put a new sender in it for good measure, they aren't expensive.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Mine was reading real high(over the H) before it kille its self.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Kurt Combs »

Thanks for the responses! My concern is that this is the kiss of death, and that major component failure is going to follow. Seems that if the pressure went up, there could be an oil passage blockage and parts are being starved for oil. Since there isn't much I can do at this time, and I am tired of patching the motor together to keep it running, I will do the following: Change the oil ASAP, change the sending unit (just in case), and find the name of the really good engine rebuilder in the area. There is a local guy, with a good reputation, who rebuilds engines at home. He is constantly busy and has a waiting list. My shop is complete and my new Bend Pak two post is sitting on the floor waiting to be installed, so an engine change would not be too hard in a few weeks. I just don't want to spend time, or the money, as I have several other projects I want to start..... But it would be nice to have an engine that I can trust on a longer journey while towing a car trailer, which is why I bought the three quarter ton in the first place. Thanks again for the responses.
Kurt
1972 F-250
Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Kurt Combs »

Well I changed the oil and filter and I didn't see anything unusual in the drain pan. Afterwards the oil pressure stayed at its new high as I drove about ten miles to town and back. I will drive it to work tomorrow which will be 70 miles round trip, if it survives that I guess it will have to be ok for now. I will just assume the guage has a new operating position and let it go until something changes, like the location of the rods.....still being in my chankcase.
Kurt
1972 F-250