Pertronix II and Autolite Distributor

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Red Richard

Pertronix II and Autolite Distributor

Post by Red Richard »

I have a 68 F100 6 cyl with an Autolite distributor and want to install a Pertronix II Ignitor module but am unable to find the right Pertronix part number for an Autolite. Has any one a solution? Thanks, Red Richard
craftsman
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Pertronix II and Autolite Distributor

Post by craftsman »

You may have to call pertronix. What i have seen on jegs is that it will fit all except dual point distributors. I ordered mine ignitor straight from pertronix, but the ignotor 2 may be different. :thup:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/91281/10002/-1#
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

What do you mean by "Autolite" distributor?

For the 240/300 there were two basic designs of dizzies before Duraspark arrived.

One design, called a Loadomatic, has no centrifugal advance, and relies on a special valve in the carb, called a spark control valve. This was indeed coupled with an Autolite 1101 carb with the SCV.

There were 1101 carbs and Carter YF carbs that did not have the SCV. These were coupled to a dizzy with both vacumm and centrifugal advance.

The Loadomatic dizzy can be recognized in the following manner: The shaft (after you remove the rotor) is solid, in a sort of "D" shape. And, you cannot twist the shaft.

The Centrifugal/Vac (Dual advance) dizzy has a "C" shaped shaft, and if you twist the shaft/rotor, it will move about 15 degrees in one direction and then spring back. That's the springs in the mechanical advance.

If you download the Pertronix catalog and read carefully, you can find the right unit for your dizzy. The "D" and "C" descriptions are what they use in their catalog, at least a few years ago when I bought mine.

I have the dual advance (but had the loadomatic setup originally) and went with the Pertronix II and Flamethrower coil. Has served me well so far.......
65 f-100 SWB, 240 I6, T-18, now swapped to C4 with difficulty. Yeah, I know. Its a 67-72 site. But my frame and entire drive train are just like yours!!!!
390F100

Post by 390F100 »

I installed the pertronix on my 390 and the dang coil was bad right out of the box, I switched it back to points and put on an old coil and it fired right up. I'll take it back and swap it out for a new set and see what happens. It made me so mad though. oh well stuff happens!!!
"There's no replacement for displacement"
1968 Ford F-100 2wd 390FE
1993 Toyota P/U 22RE
2001 Toyota Camry 2.2
2004 Toyota Solara 2.4
2007 Yamaha Vstar 650 Custom
2007 Suzuki S40 650