Factory Mirrors

Moderator: FORDification

bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Factory Mirrors

Post by bluef250 »

I purchased a pair of "sport" mirrors without gaskets. I got ss hardware to install them. Can someone post a diagram of a stock mounting gasket? I made a pattern from the mirror, but it does not look right. What would be a good type of material to make the gasket from?
DuckRyder

Re: re: Factory Mirrors

Post by DuckRyder »

shrektruck wrote:Mine were originally held on by the metal nutserts from the factory. When I bought the truck the passenger mirror was in the bed so I had to get new nutserts.
Here's where they're mounted:
So, if those are factory, can you make a template, of take measurements.

Looks like the mirror head is roughly in line with the vent window frame fore and aft, but its hard to say up and down.

Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
granitestate68

Post by granitestate68 »

Shrek, any luck taking measurments like Duck asked for? I just bought a set and would really appreciate the location to drill :? By the way, I'll be taking off my western style mirrors and am wondering what I might be able to get for them :hmm: . They're in great shape. Just want a ballpark that's all. Thanks
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... p?pos=-550
1996 F250 Slightly lifted 7.3L Diesel
1961 Falcon Ranchero 144 Inline 6
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Those normally go for around $30-$45 on Ebay, if they're not dented and the glass is good.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Here's a diagram of the mounting, courtesty of Lee. I touched it up quite a bit to make it more readable:

For future reference, this schematic is posted at Technical Drawings and Schematics - Page 3.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
granitestate68

Post by granitestate68 »

Thanks Keith :D
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

That's great :D :thup: Now are the gaskets available from Ford? Or elsewhere without buying the whole assembly?
shrektruck

Post by shrektruck »

Sorry! I didn't follow up on this. The mounting hole is already square. The Hayride truck has been sold so I can't take measurements, but yes, the mirrors are right near the wing window pillar.
granitestate68

Post by granitestate68 »

I'm not sure what NPD is but I bought mine from http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... e&frm=1728

He's a great seller but deals mostly with Model A stuff. He said he had 6-7 pairs of the mirrors I bought and they come with the plastic gasket. One for our trucks and one for Broncos, haven't figured which is which because neither is marked but I'll get it.
Merc Man

Post by Merc Man »

Mine originally came with the small mirror from the looks of it on the drivers side and had the ford west coast mirrors installed right after that .(the bolts and holes are still there so here are the measurements )
from front of drivers door back 8 7/8 inches and from top of body roll down 1 7/8 inches .I hope this is some help for you guys . :dk:
Last edited by Merc Man on Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Name : Craig
Truck : 1968 Mercury M100 Custom Factory Ordered 360 v8 , Cruise-0-Matic, Camper Special leaf & Spring Package .
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I got these mirrors today fron D-C.

NPD didn't have any and said they were not restockable.

I'm not sure if these fron DC are repops or not, the boxes say ford but not reproductions by DC like most do.

The mirrors themselves are marked "FORD". :)
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Merc Man

Post by Merc Man »

Robert if those are original mirrors they will have the ford logo and the part number on them ,more than likely on the bottom where the mirror mounts to the body.
Truck : 1968 Mercury M100 Custom Factory Ordered 360 v8 , Cruise-0-Matic, Camper Special leaf & Spring Package .
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Merc Man wrote:Robert if those are original mirrors they will have the ford logo and the part number on them ,more than likely on the bottom where the mirror mounts to the body.
I got them out and took a closer look.

They do have the Ford Logo and the Ford Part Number, but in looking closely they also have the small tell tale "dc", so they are repos.

I've seen this on a lot of DC's stuff.

I already got them on, they guy who put the west coast mirros on mine was aparently drinking, because they were not even close to being in the same spot. :hmm:
Robert

Merc Man

Post by Merc Man »

Robert when you get a chance do you think you could post a picture of the new mirror on the truck .I like to get an idea of what a new one should look like . :yt:
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Merc Man wrote:Robert when you get a chance do you think you could post a picture of the new mirror on the truck .I like to get an idea of what a new one should look like . :yt:
Sure I'll do it tomorrow, if I don't send me a PM to jog my feeble memory.
Robert