3rd brake light

Moderator: FORDification

bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

3rd brake light

Post by bluef250 »

Has anyone installed a cargo light with a third brake light instead of the stock cargo light?
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: 3rd brake light

Post by dotcentral »

That's a good idea. I have thought about that too. Probably tap into the existing wiring for the brakes and run it up to the light. I don't know if a red bulb would work, or if you'd have to get the clear lenses tinted somehow. Maybe a red LED type bulb would work?

I've also wondered how hard it would be to modify one to be a cargo and a 3rd brake light. A second light socket would need to be installed. Probably more trouble than its worth. I would think your idea wouldn't be that hard.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
67F250CS
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 67F250CS »

My 67 didnt come with the cargo light. I bought a 3rd brake light kit from Sir Micheals I think. :hmm: It came with a template and looks real easy to install. Just run one wire to the brake light harness, either side it doesnt matter or as I did, tapped off the brake light switch at the pedal. I'll see if I can dig up the photo and instructions. Been a long time.
1967 F250 Camper Special
10MPG with key off, in neutral and going downhill!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: re: 3rd brake light

Post by FORDification »

1970sportcustom wrote:...I've also wondered how hard it would be to modify one to be a cargo and a 3rd brake light. A second light socket would need to be installed. Probably more trouble than its worth...
The only problem would be that adding a second setup would put it off to one side or the other. I've contemplated this as well, and decided that the only way of making it look good would be to add TWO more, one to each side of the original, essentially for two extra brake lights....if you were to wire them right, you could get your turn signals working side-to-side up there too! ;)

...but like you say, probably more trouble than it's worth. I'd like to install a third brake light, but I'll probably use one from a junkyard. I'll just have to make a template of the roof curvature to take with me, for finding one that will set right on the Ford roof.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

be cautious where you tap into your brake light wires. A friend of mine added a new wing to his mustang w/ a 3rd brake light. the car never had one before. He tapped in next to the rear light housing on left side. Now when he puts on his brakes it lights up beautifully.........but when he hits the left blinker it flashes...lmao it looks a little funny.
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

I think, the electrical tap for the brake needs to be made before the turn signal switch, perhaps right after the switch on the brake pedal to avoid the left / right turn problem.
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

exactly right then run a wire from there through the cab and up to the 3rd light. I dont see any other way to avoid a new blinker.
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)