Removing side trim clips

Moderator: FORDification

OldBlue67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Removing side trim clips

Post by OldBlue67 »

how do you get these darn things off? I'm going to be coating the underside of the bed I'm prepping with Por15 (including the sides) and realized that if I don't take the trim clips out before I do it, they'll be sealed there for life :P Theres got to be a relatively simple way to remove them...right :?
~Liz
Old Blue Truck is Old and Blue
Ugly as sin but dont get in my way VA-ROOOOOOMMMMM!! :evil: :evil:
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Removing side trim clips

Post by Joe Kriston »

Which ones are you talking about?...The wide ones should have a speed nut holding them on....The narrower ones-the only way to get them off is to break them off and buy new ones...They're plastic that's riveted on...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
OldBlue67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by OldBlue67 »

Theyre the ones for the narrow 68 trim, plastic with the little rivet deals. So far I haven't had much luck with breaking them off, these things are a PITA :roll:
~Liz
Old Blue Truck is Old and Blue
Ugly as sin but dont get in my way VA-ROOOOOOMMMMM!! :evil: :evil:
granitestate68

Post by granitestate68 »

Ooh I can help on this one :D ..... About time huh? I just took some off a tailgate that I'm working on. Use a drill bit that's just a bit bigger than the rivet hole and hold at an angle when drilling. May need to go at it at different angles. The rivet head will shear off and you can take the clips off intact. Just take your time. The rivet head will start to spin, that's okay and just keep going at different angles until it spins right off. Hope that helps. Let me know how you make out.

Lee
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... p?pos=-550
1996 F250 Slightly lifted 7.3L Diesel
1961 Falcon Ranchero 144 Inline 6